Mid century modern dresser

Used the cnc to make quick work of the dovetail dresser drawers (new vertical table is just fantastic to use) and the X base and bridal joints for the legs.
Also did some resin inlay work inside the drawers for a little surprise when opening.

11 Likes

What a wonderful piece of furniture. Did you design it yourself?

1 Like

@pwpacp thanks! I designed it from scratch and used Fusion 360. Was an interesting learning experience with parametric modeling design.

1 Like

That is an heirloom piece for sure! Your vertical clamp feature gives me inspiration to do the same to my 1F.

1 Like

Sweet!
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Nice job, looks awesome.

1 Like

Where did you get plans or ideas on vertical clamping? Great piece by the. Have made custom furniture for years and yours is awesome and very original. Can you point in the direction you used for vertical clamps if no plans available?

1 Like

Great looking piece!! What joinery method did you use for the rounded corners of the carcass? What tolerance did you find gave you tight but not too tight joints on the dovetails?

1 Like

@Qww appreciate it.
here is a link to another thread about my vertical clamping. i created mine from scratch but got inspiration from several different ones i have seen on the forum here and elsewhere.

1 Like

@Woodworking_Pilot appreciate the kind words.

i went round and round on the corners, pun intended :slight_smile: . the plan was to put in dovetail keys, which i have done before on smaller pieces and they turned out really nice. however, this was proving more difficult to accomplish and after a couple failed attempts at some jigs i gave up and left it as a simple 45 glue up. the seams are tight and look really good.

failed key jig - im sure i could have made something work, but i like how it turned out and think the scale of the keys would have been off anyway. so not real sad about it.

ones i have done in the past on smaller pieces

as far as the dovetail joints i cut them exact but did finishing passes. some were perfect with just the right amount, some were a little tighter than others. the nice thing about the vertical jig, i could reset the piece, adjust my X dim on the masso by a few thou and then rerun it till they were perfect. really is a great system and so repeatable. made me smile every time :slight_smile:

3 Likes