Setup for "traditional" dovetails"

I’ve got a cabinet project coming up which will need nine traditional dove-tailed drawers. I’d like to cut a slot in my waste board and set up a mounting system to cut dovetails vertically on board ends. I’ve searched our forum and seen some of the project ideas. I recognize there’s a limitation on length between the top of the spoil board and the floor but that shouldn’t pose any problem.

I’m trying to essentially automate a manual dovetail jig where one board is vertical and the board behind it is horizontal using a standard dovetail bit. Has anyone had good results doing this?

One Good Software is JointCam

2 Likes

That software looks interesting. Have you used it with the Onefinity and a Makita router? I’m wondering if it can handle such aggressive cuts in 3/4" hardwood. I see there’s an option for a roughing pass as well. Thanks

yes, you will see in the second video there in the left column under dovetail parameters it has an use roughing tool option

also here are some members doing itBox Joints and Dovetails

2 Likes

I was able to get Fusion 360 to create dovetail tool paths without too much difficulty. Here’s a post with a completed box: Box Joints and Dovetails - #24 by MikeH

Getting a repeatable and accurate clamping system down is critical to success - you don’t want to be probing for x.y,z with every flip of the board. Also, for hardwood plywood at least, backing boards are necessary for clean cuts.

1 Like

I want to do uniform sized half-blind dovetails for drawer boxes. So my initial thinking is to build a vertical drop-in jig to clamp into against a backer board.

I’m thinking to set up pocket toolpaths in V-Carve Pro to clear out most of the waste in multiple passes before setting up profile toolpaths for full-depth final passes with a dovetail bit.

Then using those toolpaths reversed for the horizontal board ends. In theory, the horizontal board could be alongside the vertical board in the same jig and be carved in the same run.

I realize that JointCam has many more features but do you see any potential issues with just using V-Carve? Thanks

I did it with Fusion 360 to take advantage of its ability for parametric design - so I could easily adapt it to different-sized boxes. But a V-Carve-created tool path would work as well.

1 Like