No-Name YL620-A VFD

Hey Luis,

did you get it to work?

I got my YL working on RS485 on my OF. I have the right config and how to wire it up to run the Spindle on GCode.

If you still need this just let me know, maybe my setup will also work for yours.

Hey rickyacruz,

If you post the information, I will save it thankfully for an entry in a future VFD FAQ.

As you can read above, as far as I read the manual, we know the correct settings and wiring, but we may have overseen something.

Yet we have no news from Luis whether it worked or not.

Good morning!!!
Yes, if you can shear the information that will be grate.

Thanks!

Luis A. Miranda
939-642-3950 | lamvpr@gmail.com

Hi guys this is my actual unit, please see the setting pasted on my vfd body, I switch from Gcode to VFD dial depends on what I cut. Mostly I do auto on regular products and run manual on prototype products.

I hope this helps.

Thing to note is that the stopping setting for the spindle rotation is “Coasting Stop” and it takes about 10seconds for the spindle to come to a complete stop so be careful to touch the bit. I put some safety visual and audible devices to prevent accident when using my CNC and I also run my Vacuum and water pump together when the spindle spins (I used the VFD A0 terminal to run my SSR) not the OF as the VFD has a higher Amp Capacity and the AO Terminal runs with the spindle rotation.

Another thing is to not forget to connect the ground to common (besides the A and B terminal of vfd rs485)

Let me know if it works for you.

Lastly, be cautious when using the Breakout Board Pin 1,2 (load 1 and Load2) or even the Terminal for PWM, as it’s capacity is limited to max 25MilliAmp only or even less so check your SSR or relays power draw before using one (most SSR draws about 8milliAmp) but checking will prevent damage to the Controller and RasberryPi.

2 Likes

Hey rickyacruz,

thank you for sharing your settings and your information on the YL620-A VFD!

Yes, I have already noticed that some people like to turn the “Speed” button while the spindle is running and the CNC machine is at work. Normally, if the execution of the “Run” and the “Frequency” (=“Speed”) Commands is left over to the CNC controller via the RS-485 / ModBus serial connection, turning the Potentiometer has no more effect. I understand when some people switch back and forth between the two settings they call “Manual” and “Auto” then.

But it’s laborious to switch between these two if you have to brachiate through one-line menus on a Seven-segment display using four nasty Membrane keyboard buttons :disappointed:.

YL620-A__P010__Operator_Front_Panel__crop2

In that regard the VFD Omron MX2 aka Hitachi WJ200 is particularly advantageous here, since it offers the “Forced Terminal Block” function. If you assign this function to one of the Intelligent Input Terminals, you can connect a switch which enables you to always quickly toggle that you want to operate the “Run” and “Speed” from the Operator Front Panel, even though the VFD is set to receive the commands from CNC controller :slightly_smiling_face:. Unfortunately simple VFDs such as the Huanyang or the YL620-A do not offer such a functionality. With these, in order to switch from “Manual” (Operator Front Panel) to “Auto” (CNC Controller), you have to laboriously change the parameter settings (that you glued onto your VFD as shown above).

I see that you asserted “Decelerating Stop” to “Manual” Mode and “Coasting Stop” to “Auto” Mode. I assume that when using “Manual” you have the enclosure open and want the safety of a spindle stopping immediately, while on ”Auto” mode it is not important for you that the spindle keeps spinning after powering it off. This presumably also spares the bearings.

Do you have a Brake Resistor connected to the VFD? As far as I know, most VFDs emit an Error if you select “Decelerating Stop” and no Brake Resistor is connected. Usually I would always advise to set it to “Coasting Stop” for this reason, unless I know that someone purchased the braking resistor with the VFD and has conected it.

Also in order not to kill your spindle on its first use, it is very important to set the Mandatory Spindle Parameters according to your spindle’s manual, datasheet, or motor plate.

If you are always near the machine when it is working, like most hobbyists, you will be satisfied with visible and audible alarms. If you want more security, you can set up a safety circuit that causes the VFD to stop the spindle in the event of errors. I recently showed wiring diagrams for this. Sensors for cooling water temperature and flow can be connected to a safety relay as well as an external Emergency Stop Switch.

This is perfect. It is the job of the VFD to ensure that the spindle water cooling is on when the spindle is running and VFDs are made for this.

1 Like

Hey David,

is the manual you show on the picture a manual that you own? Unfortunately, the YL620-A Manual available at buildbotics.com is obviously made using OCR with some errors. Your picture shows differences also. Would you mind to scan your printed manual (if possible using a flat-bed scanner)?

Hey Rick @rhoffart,

Hey @rickyacruz,

Hey David @Dustydave,

Hey Luis @Lamvpr,

please would you mind taking a picture of your VFD’s Identification Plate? I dont’ mean the plate with the “YL620-A” on it or the one with the warnings, I mean the plate with the Manufacturer and the Rated Parameters, usually on the back, the side or the bottom of the device. I thank you very much!

That is all labels on case

Hey David,

Hah! I suspected that. No manufacturer.

I don’t think Yuyong industry is the manufacturer of these devices. They once sold them, but apparently no longer at the moment. At least not individually.

Thank you very much, that’s very kind of you!

Are you sure you want all 32 pages. I don’t have scanner but could take photos like the two above.
I would be glad to sell you the paperwork and the unit for $50. In original packaging never used beyond trying unsuccessfully to set it up. I sure due to my lack of knowledge and patience.

I did not mean that I would not photo if you want, glad to do it if it helps.

1 Like

Hey David, hey all,

my motivation is, I’m so sorry when people don’t get their VFD to work.

But this brings me into a dichotomy: In my opinion everyone should buy serious, good, and reliable hardware, especially when it comes to security (currents greater than a few amperes can burn down your place, especially if you then also solder the spindle connector instead of crimping). When I help people get their Huanyang, YL620, H100 or other Aliexpress Noname VFD set up and running, then they are happy and I am happy because they can do CNC Milling too.

But on the other hand, by doing that, I also support that these devices are manufactured and bought. And I don’t really want that!

If someone would ask me “Should I buy this chinese VFD that is under $ 150?”, usually I would say “Better not!”. I would say “Try to buy an Omron MX2 or a Hitachi WJ200.

But what I am talking about is that it’s not only the question whether a cheap VFD is serious, good or reliable hardware, and will work and not fail, and not burn down your workshop. It’s also that a quite complicated hardware like a VFD is not a good hardware if it comes without good documentation. The higher price is justified by the fact that it costs money to write a good manual on a high technical and linguistic level, and this in many languages, namely in english, french, german, czech, spanish, italian, polish, and russian.

If people did that and bought one of these instead of buying the cheapest available VFDs, then there would be much less need for the problem that people have, namely that when they read this chinese manual junk, it doesn’t say how a VFD works, how to set it up, and what all these settings really mean. :frowning:

On the other hand, if you buy an Omron MX2 or a Hitachi WJ200, you get a manual that’s 418 pages / 420 pages long. And in this, the author not only has an idea of ​​the language in which he writes :slight_smile:, but he is also trained to write a technical document, and in an easily understandable language. And in there you can find what is missing in the cheap chinese manuals: For example, “What is a VFD? Introduction to a VFD.” Or “Frequently asked questions” right at the beginning. There are also precise instructions for a first test run. And all important parameters that must be set are presented and explained.

Also, it is practically inconceivable that after reading one of those cheap chinese manuals someone would understand how to set the parameters for the V/F algorithm. Or at least what it is :slight_smile:.

• What is a VFD?
    Introduction to a VFD.
  • Frequently asked Questions.
  • Prepare for wiring.
  • Determining Wire and Fuse Sizes
  • Terminal Dimensions and Torque Specs
  • Wire to the mains and to additional accessories.
  • Wire the inverter output to the motor
  • Ground Terminal
  • Preparations for commissioning.
  • Power on test
  • Instructions for menu navigation.
  • Mandatory settings before first test run.
  • First test run.
  • Evaluation of the first test run.

Some things that are missing in the “manuals” of the cheap chinese devices.

And that’s why people have often asked, “Can you help me to set my Huanyang, YL620, H-100 or Aliexpress Noname”? But no one asks, “Can you help me set up my Omron or Hitachi?” Why should they? They have a good manual. In contrast, with these cheap manuals that are included with the cheap chinese VFDs, you really have to say:

RTFM doesn’t always help!

Hey David,

please forgive my soap-box speech! :slight_smile: Back to your question, I really want to be able to help people, but I don’t know if I would go as far as buying these things that people need help with and that you can’t get to work without help (and which I advise against buying). But I think that if you can read everywhere that nobody can get it working, you will not get rid of your device, but if people get it working and report about it here, then you will be more likely to get rid of your device. I really would enjoy if someone would report that with the help of some people here they get it to work. And then maybe we will achieve that somebody will buy your VFD then! It would be too sad that it could work and never does.

Maybe if you photograph the manual, maybe it can help. I’m not sure if it will, but the YL620-A manual mentioned above seems to be flawed and incomplete (cell phone photos would be great).

PS: I see no news from Rick and Luis. Will they have success?

Hey David,

that is so nice of you.

Hey all,

just for the record:

By virtue of my title as Regular I hereby change the title of this thread from “Yuyong industry yl-620a” to “YL620-A”. EDIT: This is too short, discourse.org Forum Software refuses it, so I use “No-Name YL620-A VFD” :slight_smile:

Reasons:

1. I don’t think Yuyong industry is the manufacturer of these devices. They once sold them, but apparently no longer at the moment. At least not individually.
  2. The device writes “YL620-A” and not “yl-620a”.

![image|666x500](upload://v1

CJeZNv1WXI6OwOcMfUBsCun4P.jpeg)

![image|666x500](upload://HP

fmNOqI8wiyGSsvEXEI5jNqSI.jpeg)

That is everything
I really hope it helps
Thank you for such a complete response amazing job

Hey David,

Repairing this was possible by hitting “quote” and putting the broken string together!: