No-Name YL620-A VFD

the yellow black red is the RS485 ( but the YL use also the ground thats is why it has a red wire for it). This all goes to the Onefinity breakout board

Last try!

One question: BEFORE you connected the Onefinity Controller to the connector with yellow/black/red cable, was there something attached? The Operator Panel maybe?

those terminal is the RS485, they never go anywhere else except the breakout Board so that your cnc can run via Gcode (that is your only connection to the OF Controller).

I assume when you say Operator Panel you actually meant the LED display with built in potentiometer of the VFD?

YL620-A__P010__Operator_Front_Panel__crop2
The Operator Panel. According to manual, it has its own RS-485 port to which it is attached.

No, the operator panel has its own bus wire.

The RS485 doesnt have any connector when the VFD arrived in my shop, I was the one who provided the yellow, black,red wire and connector

2 Likes

Hey rickyacruz, hey Lee @elpipetuanis,

thank you @rickyacruz, for providing information, now it’s clear! :slight_smile:

Is the Operator Panel attached to purple/white/black cable?

What’s interesting in relation to this issue, is this:

Replied by iforce2d on topic yalang yl620 VFD rs485/modbus communicaiton

[…] this Yalang one actually does [talk to ModBUs], and my experience with the logic analyzer and message interaction would agree. The messages it returns are well-formed modbus and consistent. The LCD control panel connection also uses standard modbus, but at a fixed baud rate (38400 in my case) that is not user-configurable. I used the logic analyzer to watch the traffic between the LCD panel and the main board, and when I imitate the panel my messages are responded to correctly, but the motor never moves.

As for the usual RS485 port, it always responds with “Illegal data value” no matter what, even when only attempting to read. I wrote a script that tried to read all registers from 0-16384 and every single one failed with the same result. It’s almost like the firmware is either bugged or never intended to accept traffic on that port in the first place.

and also this:

Replied by Tukbuk23 on topic yalang yl620 VFD rs485/modbus communicaiton

FYI, I got the YL620-A working on RS-485. Andypugh was right, just swap the RS-485 A/B wires. The labels (silkscreen) on the VFD PCB are incorrect.

Also this user reports that the RS-485 bus of this VFD is full of noise

there was nothing attached to the RS485 (B/A/Com) terminal.

The Operator Panel has its own dedicated bus wire. And the RS485 cannot be connected to the Operator Panel because they have a totally different use.

My operator Panel looks a bit different from that you showed but the button positions and function is the same. Mine I did not visually check if it has any connection to the RS485, although I know I can take that controller off the VFD body and put it where I can easily access (you can actually buy a longer buswire if you need) but I have not checked if there was a RS 485 in the Operator Panel ( Now that you mentioned it thanks I will check when I get back)

Yes in my VFD, the buswire with purplewire is the one that goes to the Operator Panel.

Hey rickyacruz,

what are your settings for P03.00, P03.01 and P03.02?

I need to check my VFD when i get back to my shop next year :slight_smile:

Hey rickyacruz,

I’m sure it would be one of the things Lee might want to try.

If noise on the RS-485 bus of this VFD is the cause of the issue, choosing another Baudrate (and/or enabling parity) can be a workaround.

Yes the operator panel is attached to the board through the purple and white wire.

So I do have the same wire for the RS485 but the longest I could find were only 200mm long and proceeded to solder some together to make a longer wire. Maybe there is a connection issue with my soldering. I will have to try and find one that is a bit longer without soldering it together. However I can try a different baud rate or enabling parity as well.

Thanks for helping me through this. Like I said before this should be working. It’s probably an issue with my wire. @rickyacruz where did you get your wire? Is it longer than 200mm.

I just salvaged my wire from an old computer :slight_smile: i was keeping for projects like this

Let’s just say I am dumb. So I started making a new wire with another JST XH connector, this time with no splices except the connection between the new wire and the connector. I finish soldering that and get the breakout board out to start removing the old wire and to connect the new wire to it and lo and behold one of the old wires was not in its place (I know it was connected before but must have fallen out somehow) so just to test it out before i replaced it with new wire I reconnected that, making sure it was nice and tight-ish. Plugged it back in and it worked! So what I had done was correct it was just user error, so now I just need to get it all hooked up and I will be in business. Thanks guys for all the help.

1 Like

P03.00=3
P03.01=1
P03.02=5
P03.03=0
P03.04=500

above is my setting for the YL620A

correction: I connected the “ A” to BoB 14, “B” to BoB 13 and the “com” to BoB19 (ground)

2 Likes

Does anyone have their pump running off the VFD? If so which of the inputs on the control input board os for that purpose? I can divine it from the instruction manual.

Hey Lee,

here you see the multifunction relay outputs:

You can connect a Solid state relay to it which will then switch your pump on and off controlled by the VFD. You connect the input side of the SSR to NO1 (normally open) and to CM1. The switching side of the SSR is connected in between one of the power wires to your coolant pump. I assume that your pump runs on single-phase AC household power.

Next step, you would have to program the multi-function relay output for the desired behaviour:

:triangular_flag_on_post: Note that the manual of this VFD is crap. That means it could turn out that it 1. is incomplete 2. is contradictory to itself 3. is misleading 4. does not match the device’s features 5. has errors and typos 6. is translated into english by a chinese that doesn’t really know english (here a good VFD manual for comparison).

I assume you mean the water coolant pump for your spindle, so you want it to be switched on whenever the spindle is in “RUN” mode and switched off when spindle does not run.

It seems obvious that you have to set P04.03 or P04.04. The behaviour you want would be choosing setting “1: get power while running, otherwise lose power

With P04.05 - P04.08 you can set a delay of up to 65.5 seconds before it switches, if you want that. This way you can cool your spindle for up to 65.5 seconds longer after it was run down.

Note that P04.07 and P04.08 seem to have typos, they should refer to relay output 2.

I do not own this VFD and I have not tested it :slight_smile:

:triangular_flag_on_post: Note that all manual versions mentioned in this topic refer to multifunction outputs 1 and 2. But on the connector board, there seems to be only NC1, NO1 and CM1, and no second output. Perhaps this is for future addition of a second output or some second output connectors are hidden somewhere. Who knows? :slight_smile:

So I would set P04.03 to “1” and P04.06 to “60” seconds to cool your spindle one minute longer after it was switched off.

Hey @rickyacruz,

wait, you use AO? The analog output to switch a SSR? Why don’t you use NO1 or NC1 which are made for that? This Analog Output has a voltage corresponding to present frequency and is made for connecting a moving coil pointer instrument (or a digital meter) for use as a frequency meter.

Thanks a ton! You guys have been awesome. I will do that this weekend and see how it goes. I agree the manual sucks. It sucks even more that they didn’t send one with mine. :slight_smile: