On building a workspace for my new toy

Greetings, friendly forum folks!

My shiny new Onefinity Woodworker is currently scheduled to be shipped some time next week if I’m reading estimates properly. Yay! Looking forward to playing with this thing and seeing what kinds of awesome things I can do with it.

Of course, before I can create anything awesome with it, I need to set up a place to put it.

I am thinking along the lines of those prefabricated steel garage shelving units. Many of them can hold upwards of a thousand pounds per shelf. In most setups you see, the top half and the bottom half are put on top of each other. I’m thinking along the lines of setting them up back to back and bolting them together for added stability. I see several advantages to this solution. First off, it is cheap. I could set up a working configuration for under a hundred dollars, which is cheaper than most of the overbuilt workbenches I’ve made out of construction grade lumber in the workshop. Second, it is quick to assemble and to disassemble, which is a good thing, as I will have to move it in and out of the house depending on the season until I can insulate my workshop. Winter gets very cold in the central Idaho mountains. Third, I will end up with some extra workbench space. Fourth, this should be very sturdy. Finally, the extra shelves will give me a place to construct drawers and tool storage and predrilled holes in the frame would make it pretty easy to bolt on an enclosure to keep the noise down a bit.

What are your thoughts?

On further study of the specifications of the shelving I was looking at, maybe not much extra workbench space unless I put the Onefinity on a lower rack… Which may actually make setting up an enclosure up a bit easier.

Hey Daniel - in the end, the choice is yours. I created a flat desk surface for mine, in my office. Others have tables in their garage, or flip surfaces in other locations. Whatever your choose, it should be easily accessible, open on all sides, and friendly to the operator. I wouldn’t put the machine too low or too high, but that’s my preference. Let us know what you decide!

-Tom

Tom,
What height is yours at?

Brian - desk height - 28". Part of a total remodel of my office with custom furniture specifically designed for my CNC and 3D printers. Still pondering if I want some sort of enclosure to keep the noise down.

-Tom