One problem resolved, another appears

I was able with help from this forum to get the post processor working. I can’t find the thread where the person gave me the help…but thanks! I homed my machine, zeroed the z using the Onefinity probe. Loaded my surfacing program, pressed the play button and got this error message

Help! My spoilboard is
.75 MDF

1 Like

I don’t have my machine yet but it looks like you should check what corner you have the XY Zero home set to in your program.

I would second Craig’s suggestion - that looks like what happened the last time I zeroed x,y,z at the lower left corner of the workpiece, but had forgotten in my cam software (vcarve pro) to move the zero from center to lower left.

I had a similar problem when using fusion 360 to face. Even though I told it I didn’t want any lead in (because I need to cut clear to the limits of the machine) it put a lead in into the gcode. I manually edited the first move where it was trying to get the Y beyond where it can go, The edited file worked fine.

After booting up the machine I homed it then set the homed position as zero. Still have the same problem as shown in the photo above. I am not sure where to go from here??? I am to “ignorant” about ding an edit to gcode to try. FYI my spoilboard design is 800mm x 800mm x 18mm. the actual MDF board is slightly larger.

OK, I think I see the problem now. the y is trying to go clear to -300 something mm and you mentioned above you zeroed at the bottom left. This probably means that in your design program you put the origin which doesn’t match your machine setup. You would need to either edit your design or zero in accordance with the design so they match.

By the way, I’m new to all this as well, but I’m learning that being able to work to some extent with the raw gcode seems to be important knowledge to pick up.

Chuck, Thanks for the response. I’m not sure I understand. If my design is smaller than the soft limits of the machine then it seems as though it should run the program??? I also don’t understand how to make the design and the origin match??? any help is appreciated.

Did you make the bottom left as zero in your project, or is the centre of your project set to zero?

This is what happened to me when I homed and set that to zero. My project had the centre as zero.

BigLT, or anyone else, I hate being so thickheaded but how do I check my file’s zero and the reset it?
When I home my machine when I first turn it on it goes to the lower left.
Thanks for your patience…

Home the machine first, but don’t set zero. If you datum point in the software is the front left hand corner then jog machine to front left-hand side of workpiece set X, Y & Z, then zero the coordinates. If your datum in the software is set for the centre of your work mark the centre of your workpiece then job the machine to the centre point and just set Z zero. X & Y should also be zeroed at this stage.

1 Like

What software are you using to generate the gcode? Fusion 360, Vcarve, carbide create, etc. If you let us know I am sure someone can tell you how to check it. I can help with Fusion 360.

If you go into your software that you designed your project in you have an option of where you want your X Y and Z datum or starting point of your project is. Most people use lower left corner. It in your project if the center was selected then when probing for X Y and Z you must use the center of your material. If the center is selected in your software program but when probing for XY and Z you probe the lower left you will get that error.

Here is an example for fusion 360, I’m sure it’s similar if you’re using other software:

• The origin of my my design is smack in the top middle of my stock (the rgb arrows).
  • The setup dialog lets me choose where I want the origin.
  • I could pick the spot at the lower left to set the origin there.

Also I’ll pass along one tip that has already saved me a couple pieces of wood. Before doing the real cut, do an “air cut” Home and zero the machine as you normally would, then jog the z up a fair amount (an inch or two if you’ve got the room) and set the z zero there. Then run the program and watch the path. Using this method, I’ve spotted when the bit didn’t raise up between features like it should have (I fixed by choosing a different post processor).

Hope this helps

Chuck, your info was spot on. I had the starting position in the center so I moved it to the front left.
But I am really lost! I have been using computers for years, saving files, moving files but I can’t seem to get the changes with correct starting position, correct post onto my USB stick so I can run it in my CNC.

Strad,

So you moved the origin to the lower left in your software, thats good. Next upload file to 1F. Home the machine. After homing dont move the machine. Then Set X & Y to zero (see red circles in the picture). After that probe Z (see blue circle). You should be able to run the gcode after that. Setting X & Y to zero lets the CNC know where the origin that is in file where its located on the CNC table. In this case thats the lower left hand corner. For instance you could move the machine to center of the cnc table and zero X & Y. The machine would then go to the center to start because thats the new X0 Y0 for the CNC table. Hope this helps. I had a few issues getting my spoilboard laid out when I got mine last week so I went through the same thing you did.