Onefinty control panel remote (gamepad replacement with lots of extra options)

No, it’s a just a size as small as possible to fit my needs :sweat_smile: The final “commercial” size will be a tiny bit bigger because screw holes in acrylic corners are prone to break when screw too tight.
But if anyone has a thought out idea for a panel size (its now approx 230mm x 155mm, 9 x 6 inch) I’m willing to adjust it. (but it needs to be close to what it’s now).

Everyone needs to make the enclosure themself. I probably make a 3D cut-out template for a cnc (I guess most of the buyers have a cnc :rofl:)

2 Likes

I M not sure this will work out for me, I have a 220volt spindle and water pump. My dust collection system is operated by a remote control I have fastened to my apron. I love the look and I am interested in seeing how things progress.

Project update:
All the controls seem to work! :tada:
But, I’ve discovered a small bug or drawback I didn’t anticipated. You can’t actually lock both X and Y axis. Only one at the time. So if you lock X, Y becomes unlocked. Hoped it was an mistake in my coding, but it seems like a “bug” in the onefinity / buildbotics firmware because when I try the same thing on the official remote, the same behaviour occurs. I shall discuss this on the buildbotics forum, but for now it looks like I have to change my remote firmware to lock only one of the axis.

2 Likes

Being new to all this what are the situations where you would want both X and Y locked.

Your spindle is not doing much if it can only travel in the Z direction.

What am I missing?

I’m using a 3 axis joystick (X, Y and Z (turn)). So I can imagine that I want to move only the Z without moving X and Y. But to be honest, it isn’t really a problem holding X and Y and moving Z with every axis unlocked. I’ve added a bit of “0” space in the joystick’s programming, so you need to pass a certain amount of degrees before the gantry is going to move.

2 Likes

Wow, this is amazing! I am interested in this for sure. The lowest level offering would be fine for me if there is a BOM for all of the other components I would need to purchase. I am not experienced at all in electronics but can solder. This is fantastic. I hope you are able to get enough feedback to make this worth your while!

Best,
_Mike

1 Like

Discovered another bug, maybe someone else with a gamepad can test this also so I know it’s not my particular machine?: If you lock the X axis by pressing the top left button… the Z axis gets also locked. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

edit: reported the bugs hope they can fix it:

1 Like

Yeah I think it works this way. I think left button locks X and Z and right button locks Y and A (A = moving the right thumb stick left and right)

1 Like

i am interested. anything to make easier to control my work. edd fraczek thanks for all the work you are doing

A cut-out in MDF for the enclosure. Love the accuracy of the Onefinity, gave it only 0.5mm playroom.

6 Likes

8 Likes

I would definitely be interested in a control panel kit with instructions.

I’m interested in any option that will get me one or two of these. The more complete the better. A Pc board with parts package would be the next best choice.

You should be able to program the Arduino Leonardo to send a set joystick signal to the Onefinity when the X or Y is activated. Therefore bypassing the bug/just the way it works of the Onefinity controller. It would be more complicated than just running a joystick sketch.

Because of the leds inside the buttons, the whole thing is more complicated than running an simple “joystick sketch” anyway. I want to see what setting is activated. But there’s no feedback from the controller. If you startup the controller, and something is selected, the controller misses this “button press” because it was not fully booted yet. So I have to resent every controller input every x seconds to overcome this. I’ve adjusted the code for the X and Y lock so only one axis can be locked. But if Onefinity fixes this issue, the firmware needs to be updated to take advantage of it.

Anyhow, the firmware is almost done. Still have to test it thoroughly. Right now I’m building it in my Onefinity.

3 Likes

Ahh, I see. Keep up the great work.

I’m one of those who wants things straight out of the box, if it comes to that I’ll have one please, if not, well done so far.
I watch with anticipation.

Looking good. Standing by to purchase. :wink:

It sounds really nice and I agree the game pad always goes off to soon
Thanks Jim

Finished the remote controller box and everything is working great! Though one thing I like to change: the spindle shuts down after every cut (while moving trough the air). Kind of understandable but this stopping and restarting puts unnecessary stress on the spindle’s brushes. Also the dust collector relay is based on the same signal, and starting and stopping that so frequently is unacceptable. It’s pretty easy to code an extra delay (I already put in a 100ms delay to ignore PWM switching) like 3 seconds for the spindle and about 10 seconds for the dust collector… But is this desirable? Or is it more desirable to leave it like this and adjust the Gcode-generator (in my case Fusion 360).

[EDIT] A user on the Facebook group pointed out that there’s an checkbox option in the tool section “rapid auto off”. That seems to fix the problem!

10 Likes