Oops clamp rack

There is no real harm, per se. However, saving as separate allows you to have break points along the way. I.e. if it is 5 hours of cuts but you want to break down into a few cuts that take 3 hours and go have lunch then come back and do the subsequent set of cuts. you can.

I personally just do one file including tools changes. I have not been bitten yet and it easy for me to follow what is going on, but some folks find it easier to break it down one path at a time. I especially like using one file when using the laser and changing power/speed/stepovers for certain effects. throughout the project.

1 Like

Thanks Dean! That makes total sense. Iā€™m looking forward to playing around with these settings. The laser approach sounds interesting. I ordered the jtech as well though Iā€™m planning on waiting a little while before using it so I can get more comfortable with the ā€œbasicsā€

My air assist will arrive today and I also bought the small shroud so I can try the 3D lasering on topographical type carves, i.e. wavy flags and mountain rangesā€¦ I will let you know what i experience. I had a few initial set-up/learning curve issues with my JTech, but it was all user error. Now with 1.0.9 I have not had any issues, as they took the user error tendencies out, right after I had fixed them manually. BTW, i only have VCarve plugin and have nto had a use for Lightburn to date. that may change at some point but not right now. I will be converting my woodworker over to the Journeyman and adding the WC 80mm Spindle in the next week or so. Finally got the spindle cable built, not the easiest thing to do, but got some practice on my soldering skills.

@Dustoff00 is right. No harm in your scenario. If you have different tools then use the option to group them by tool and you get the advantage of split files along with the advantages of single files. The option you donā€™t want is the single file with different tools because while the 1F will stop for a tool change, without some modifications to your controllerā€™s settings, you canā€™t easily change bits.

Agree, it has been quite a while since it set it up, but I think I am using the BitSetter 2.0 macro info to allow me to do my bit changes and have really not had any issues for the past year for my single filesā€¦

I am not doing 12+ hour carves on mine either but for what I do it has worked perfectlyā€¦

@Dustoff00 I was planning on checking out the laser add on for VCarve, good to know you like it.

@JimHatch Makes total sense to group by bits. Thanks for the tip on not grouping different bits in the same file!