Overall size for Elite Journeyman

1 Like

I believed the foreman is longer in the Y axis. do you have the Journeyman Y axis dimension available? Looking to build a stand for my future Elite Journeyman.thanks.

2 Likes

My bad, I would imagine the dimensions for the elite journeyman wouldn’t differ much from the regular journeyman.
To the right of the purple rectangle, in the image, are the overall journeyman dimensions. The smallest table size for a regular journeyman is going to be not much smaller than 64"x46"

Another common question is the height of the Z slider. This will now depend on which one you get but I believe the z-16 slider on the journeyman has a height of ~17.5" when using the middle mounting holes.

I can’t speak on behalf of the elite Journeyman, the journeyman with a “stiffy”, or different mounting holes.

Maybe @OnefinityCNC can chime in and fact-check me?

Also, welcome to the forum!

Hopefully, this helps a little bit, but there is a ton of resources within the forum that can be searched.

1 Like

Thank you Preston for your info. greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Just ordered the Foreman with Stiffy. Does anyone have a vertical dimension for this? I’m probably going to put it underneath a tabletop so I have a usable work surface above but need to know how much clearance I’ll need. Thanks, Quentin

hi Quentin, they don’t have the specification for the elite yet, at least I couldn’t find it. If you were to do underneath the table top, I will give at least 20-24 at the minimum. also depend on how tall the new Z slider is, you may need 24" clearance and beyond. If you have room like 30in from floor to bottom of your tabletop go for it.
cheer,
James

1 Like

Thanks, James. I’ll go with the worst case. I was hoping to get it as high as possible to save my back a little grief, but I can always modify the table if necessary.

1 Like

16-18 weeks. Ouch. I guess I’ll have some time to dial in the design.

Another advantage to building a table around the machine is you’re most of the way to a full enclosure. Current plan is to hinge the top (with a couple of gas struts) to facilitate access.
The top is going to be large, about 66" x 71", and will need support. I’m planning to make a rigid, self-supporting torsion box as an assembly / work surface.

Wheels too, because small shop. Everything on wheels.

I wondered if a down draft dust collection would work in your design if you decide to build underneath a table top.

Do you mean routing the hose below the work surface? Without giving it much thought, my plan was to go out the back or side. I was eyeballing the Pwncnc rear extraction dust boots which I think will not require more clearance above the Z slider. Still thinking through this.

3 Likes

yeah, just like festool mft table with a bunch of holes but make it an enclosed box. the holes will allow you to clamp your pieces. clamps will have to be low profiles.

Eeeeenteresting. I would think that would evacuate dust from the chamber but wonder if that would be effective in collecting dust at the bit given that the work piece won’t be perforated. Or maybe I’m missing something.

Hey all,

in any case you’ll have to evacuate the dust at the closest possible point to the source, i.e. the milling bit. Especially since on the Onefinity CNC machines, the ball screws are open. Oiled mechanics like ball screws are completely incompatible with wood dust, which is why in professional CNC machines for working on wood, the ball screws are enclosed in convoluted rubber gaiters or bellows covers completely.

One user had an enclosure around the machine and a professional dust extraction system, but it extracted the dust from the enclosure through a 12" square portal on top of the enclosure – it did not prevent his ball screw being destroyed in a way like shown above and to leave 5" thick of wood dust in the rear of the machine.

1 Like

Thanks, Aiph5u, very helpful and good to know.

Can you send a picture of the diagram?

Hey Preston, hey Tim @TheBXwoodworker,

X-50/PRO Journeyman and Elite Journeyman have the same footprint. See

The differences are the protruding stepper size and the protruding drag chains, but if you follow the link to “space to reserve around the machine”, there remains no difference.

Hi James - for the CNC enclosure under a table, has anyone verified what the max vertical room needed with the Stiffy upgrade and Pwn ATC setup? Thanks!

Hi Gerard, Welcome to the board.
I don’t know if anyone are doing the under the table configuration. I ended up putting my unit above the Kreg rolling stand and create storage below as I needed more storage space. I don’t think it is as efficient as you put the unit above the table. Bit changing is a bit cumbersome but with the ATC, it could be doable. You need to value yourself to see if you need more storage space or working surface station. I took down my unit and waiting for QCW, tool setter and Z brake to be arrived. Please share if you are doing the under the table configuration.

Hey Gerard,

when I first saw someone mounting their CNC under a table, I wondered if whether they also intended to clamp workpieces to the work surface and therefor have to lean over the machine. Not that in the end it’s so strenuous and uncomfortable, or that you bump your head, that you get annoyed only by thinking of using the machine. You shouldn’t forget how deep these machines are. I think one should definitely also think about being able to reach the work surface from behind the machine, and regarding the height, about still be able to do so if one day you’re no longer a young friend of gymnastics :slight_smile:

I definitely need to have it below for space considerations so will probably assemble it to see space requirements before building the assembly/outfeed table and enclosure. Thanks!