Power safety during bit changes

I haven’t seen anyone mention this…
Maybe it’s a given…
Does everyone physically pull the plug on their router before changing bits?

1 Like

I have not, but then again, I don’t go near the power button during a tool change. In addition, I use a breakout board and a IOT.

I do power the router off with the switch because I don’t trust the relay with my finger tips :slight_smile:

1 Like

Osha would say physically pull the plug.
Just sayin…still have ten fingers, lol.

2 Likes

Fair given I am at 9.98…shaper incident… I got very lucky… I have been tempted to put a more physical separate switch in place too. I am u plug it kinda guy with everything else which is why I still at least flip the switch

I have a spindle, which is controlled by the 1F for start/stop. I don’t think there’s any way for me to accidently start the spindle, but I did have some second thoughts about the possibility. A second person in the shop would increase the risk more than I’d like.

I’ve always unplugged my routers when making bit changes, just don’t trust leaving them plugged in while changing bits.

1 Like

I’m sure many don’t. I just can’t. Whenever I change a bit on my router table or table saw, I unplug the tool.

1 Like

I don’t unplug it but I do ensure the power switch is off. Extremely unlikely I will hit the switch while changing a bit, and if I do, my hand wouldn’t be near the bit (at least one of them). If I start to use a VFD, that might change.

-Tom

I have never unplugged my table saw or router (table mounted) and not near a switch when making tool changes, while servicing is another topic. That being said~ I can say that I never came to the shop and any of them were running on their own accord. My nickel <inflation adjusted :slight_smile:

I physically pull the plug same as I would do when changing a bit on any router. This totally eliminates any chance of the router powering up, unless you don’t unplug it of course.

For those with spindles, how do you ensure no inadvertent starts. Or are you a gambler?

I can not say that. I had my shop dust collector setup with a remotely operated switch that is operated by a keyfob style remote. I used to leave it plugged into the remote switch when not in the shop.

But one morning I came into the shop (I am the only one with access to the building) and my DC is running. I know it was off when I left the evening before so I went and looked on the security camera video which also records audio and you can not hear it running until for some reason it decided to start up at 02:17 in the morning. So that 1.5HP motor ran for just over 5 hours until 07:30 when I came out to the shop. Never did figure out how or why it happened. I used the same switch for another 6 months and
it never self-started again. I now have the iVac system which starts/stops the DC using sensors on each tool. When I am done for the day I unplug the iVac switch that operates the DC so no chance of anything starting it up. In fact all my tools get unplugged when I am done for the day except the TS which has a service disconnect switch right by the door. I open that switch when changing blades too.