Pro woodworker wall mounted X axis falls during probing

Hi everyone - I have a pro wall mounted in the orientation specified by 1F and when I try and do a Z probe the X axis stops idling and falls down to the bottom. I’ve messed with the idle current and the run current of motor 0 because it was dropping during travels with the spindle on. I have searched the forum and haven’t found any similar posts of users experiencing or fixing the issue I’m currently having. Is there something I am missing here why the X motor doesn’t idle and hold during z probing?

Thanks in advance

Remove the unsupported, aftermarket spindle and try the supported makita router.

Also, I created the x axis idle current from 1 amp to 2 amps and hit save.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. I have already upped the idle current and tried it. The problem is that the x motor isn’t actually holding the idle current when the z probe is initiated (or at least it seems that way to me).

1 Like

This evening I removed the spindle completely and the Z still comes sliding down the X rail whenever I try and probe. As I mentioned it seems like the X motor stops sending any idle current to the motor when the probe function is initiated. Why is it doing this and how do I fix it?

I initially set up my X50-WW machine in a vertical orientation with the gantry moving bottom to top, reassigned as the Y axis, dual rails moved left to right and reassigned as the X axis. I experienced the same thing- slider would fall dramatically when I hit HOME. I could not adjust the stall settings to make it work as it should. The only way I could reliably home the machine was to jog the gantry to zero (at the bottom) before powering it off. I could never use any touch-plate probing in this orientation. I ran it this way for the first year or so.

I have my machine sitting flat now and it works perfectly, including touch-plate probing. If you are really committed to vertical orientation, I would recommend offsetting the spindle’s weight using a set of springs on both sides of the slider to avoid binding and such that the spring tension suspends the Z slider with no difference in force to move the gantry axis in either direction. This is one of the limitations of stall-homing and the BB controller.

I have had the same issue, but since the foreman isn’t supported all I was told is try and up the amperage. As a workaround I hold the the Z axis for the second the brake fails and it re-engages the brake within a second. It’s not the fix, but after the homing process it hasn’t failed on me during operation at all. Hope this helps til the solution is found.
-edit- mine fails during the auto-home function. I am able to properly probe after the workaround. Running Ver. 1.4.0

The home all or home x it definitely falls, same with power off but I can deal with that, my issue is it falls during probing on probe Z, I haven’t gotten to trying to probe XYZ with the block yet.

Hey Merrick,

are you trying to home with stall homing method against gravity? This will not work. You got to reassign the axes in order to have home on the bottom. See here, here and here.

You could also get rid of unreliable stall homing by retrofitting proximity limit sensors.

1 Like

Nope - homing is in stock position and I have the machine mounted as 1F indicates it needs to be mounted. When looking at the machine on the wall it homes on bottom right - it is 48” on the vertical (or near vertical) and 33” on the horizontal.

Oddly enough I did do a software restore and my problem - which was the spindle sliding vertically down the X rails when I probed Z because the x motor shut off - seems to have fixed itself. Since I don’t know what was wrong I pucker a bit every time I do a probe function now waiting for it to drop!