Problem with setting Work Datum

I’ve recently noticed an issue when setting the work datum with the probe,

The work datum seems to be off by about 5mm see picture below, the boarder around the job is approx 10mm on the left side and 5mm on the right, this was the same on the previous operation when I drilled the holes on the corners,

I’ve seen it before and just thought I’d not set the datum correct

Any body got any ideas what causing the problem?

If had similar but it was always me being a plonker.

I referenced from the centre but either measured or dialed in a dimension incorrectly into the CAM software.

Another has been incorrectly setting my model inside the stock when using offsets (f360).

Jamming the cnc such that the steppers grind and then thinking everything is ok when it isnt and i should have rehomed the machine.

1 Like

Another in f360 is picking up a sketch line rather the model when setting the tool path for a model that i had changed the position of.

Hi Andy,

I wondered if I’d done something like that as well, funnier that the last time it happened it was on a similar carve, in fact now I think about it this carve could have been based on the first one that had the issue,

I think I’ll check the Vcarve model and see if there’s anything there.

How’s the golf going ?

Regards
Dave

I get the same issue sometimes but found it has been because I’ve not accurately measured the work stock and entered it appropriately in Vcarve. Additionally, I’ve had at least one occasion where I forgot to center the project in the software, though I’m not implying any of that is what is going on in your case.

Are you sure you are using the proper tool diameter in the probing sequence?

Hi Guys

Pretty sure I did, but you never know if you have or not, so I will set it up again on the reverse side and check if it does it again

I’ve noticed the material is 223mm not 226mm so that may account for some error,

I’ve checked the Vcarve file and everything looks ok with that,

I may look to see what parameters there are for the probe dimensions

I’ve updated the Vcarve file to reflect the 223mm material width and reset the datum and it looks like this has cured most of the problem so that now there’s approx. a 1mm mm difference between the boarder.

Thanks all.