Programming buildbotics

Is the Sketchup 3D program compatible with the buildbotics system. Thanks Rich

You can use it to create designs but you can’t use it to create g code to run the machine

Is the Sketchup 3D program compatible with the buildbotics system. Thanks Rich

Thanks for your response. Can I convert SketchUp to a g code? Thanks Rich

It can be, but it can be a hassle. We recommend using something like vectric, carveco, etc. since you can design and export gcode all from one program

I’m contacting SketchUp. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks Rich

1 Like

Or there is Fusion 360 :grin:

1 Like

Sketchup will create vector files…(which are basically just shapes) but you need to turn those shapes into toolpaths with something called CAM, which makes shapes into gcode, a language the cnc can understand. You’d be making the design in sketchup, then taking it into something that has cam…which could have also created the design…so it’s kind of a moot point. Most decide to stay in one program that can do both cad and cam…something like vectric or carveco.

1 Like

Rich - SketchUp is a drawing tool - it is mesh based at its heart. That will get you a model, but you need to convert the model into tool paths, and then in turn, turn the tool paths into G-Code. Perhaps checking out my digital manufacturing video will help you understand the workflow and what tools you need?

-Tom