PWNCNC V8 Update

Thanks Alan and everyone for the great advice, I’m going to push the button on the Prusa later. As it seems to me that I’ve spent a fortune buying accessories for my 1F I could have printed myself.

Another quick question, the Prusa website offers material as well which I can order with my printer, but what should I order and how much would you expect to need on average.

Thanks
Dave

When I bought my PRUSA I got one free spool of silver PLA filament and a second bonus spool of orange PTEG free. Don’t know if that deal is still going, I bought last Fall. But be mindful of your purchase total. They could be a duty if it goes over a set amount. I think it’s $800, but watch for the warning during checkout if you’re buying direct from PRUSA.

You could break up the order to get around the duty. Order the printer and extra bed, then order filament a day or two later.

Dave, I would buy a couple of rolls of their Prusament - one PLA and one ABS. You get special treatment for the freight as I remember with a couple of rolls of filament and the Prusament is recognized as some of the best around. Their QC for making the filament is unbelievable. The arms I printed are from PLA on the smooth bed. When you have time watch a few of their YouTubes on that topic and also their history.

I would also be sure to get the smooth and textured beds. Mine is also equipped with the filament alarm/switch but not sure if that’s necessary, just a bit of insurance if you were to run out of filament during a print.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan. how does the filament alarm work is it an option

Dave

Yes it is an upgrade option and is not expensive. Original Prusa MINI+ | Original Prusa 3D printers directly from Josef Prusa

BTW, you can buy an unassembled version of the Mini + and put it together but I don’t believe it is worth effort or risk. I loved having mine go to work out of the box with only a small amount of assembly effort vs. bags of parts and fasteners.

OK Prusa MK3S+ Ordered, just a 6/8 week wait now, I guess not as long as I waited for my 1F

Hey Dave,

good you avoided the Mini and made the investment in the i3 mk3s+.

why does the mini have issues ?

Hey Dave,

it’s some time ago, but before buying something I do a lot of web research read reviews and articles. In german Make Magazine there are always reviews and articles about recent 3d printers, good for purchase decisions.

Issues not, it is an excellent 3d printer, makes nearly same print quality as its bigger brother. The i3 MK3S+ has higher temperature and double the build volume and a very good extruder. But the Mini+ has higher temperature than most others of its price class and is only about 100 € more expensive as the Creality Ender-3 V2.

But judge yourself: prusa mini+ mk3s+ comparison

1 Like

I’m the same, I like to research etc and the Prusa seems to be the best hobby on the market at the moment

Looking forward to receiving it now

Alphonse
Just got my Journeyman this week and am remodeling the whold shop to make it fit. It’s bigger than I imagined! So, which dust boot is this PWNCNC v8 and why? I didn’t purchase the suckit yet because I can’t decide between 4" to my dust collector vs 2 1/2" to my vacuum. Thoughts?

I also just purchased a 3d machine so I’m trying to learn too much at once :slight_smile: Oh well. I’m 70 so it’ll at least keep my brain from going stale.

I really like what you did with the dust boot holder.

I got the Prusa as well and don’t regret the extra expense at all. I tried a cheaper version that required me to tinker ALL the time to keep it running. I just want it to work and so far the Prusa has done that well. You do have to learn about keeping things stuck down well. My failed prints so far have almost all been due to them coming loose.

Buddy,

Did you sell your drag chain yet? I was thinking about printing mine but am always interested in a good deal.

Mike

Michael, I use a Fein vac as a dust collector with a 2 1/2" hose. I like it since it turns on when I turn the router on. Thus far it’s doing a good job on dust collection. I have both the Suckit and and the PWNCNC boot that OF sells as a package. I have used both the boots and seem to gravitate toward the Suckit at the moment. Likely just because it is on there and working.

I am fairly early in having my machine and really just got my system running in early December after a bit of a journey to get a special table built. That said, what I like about both boots is the ability to observe the cut when it is underway. I sometimes adjust the router speed by observing the bit along with the sound. I do not want a boot that hides the bit from me.

I have 3 other large dust collectors in the shop and they are waaaay too loud to run all the time. The Fein is very quiet.

I am likely going to a 80 mm spindle and hope to continue with the Fein to continue to reap the low noise of it all.

Congrats on ordering the Prusa. You will not be disappointed. They really are amazing and their sales show it. As Aiph5U points out the build volume on the bigger model is twice that of the Mini + and that may be a big advantage for you. At my house, any thing larger than the Mini can handle will get sent to my son’s engineering shop where a Haas CNC resides and we’ll make it out of metal. :grinning:

Bob_D

how are the modified legs doing, are they holding firm and has being able to remove the V8 from the back been worth it.

Regards
Dave