Question regarding 3d printed accessories

Hey Damon,

you need a 3d printer enclosure to use ASA (Blog: ASA Prusament is here! Learn everything about the successor to ABS!) and ABS (ABS – Wikipedia) as filament (high quality material, see Lego bricks), PC (polyacrylate) and PA (polyamide (“Nylon”)), but not if you use PLA (PLA – Wikipedia), PETG (PET – Wikipedia), or other cheaper materials which may work well as Onefinity accessories materials.

Be aware that with a 3d printer, you enlarge the amount of plastic waste on the planet. Sometimes it is better to use a CNC machine / router / mill to machine something out of wood, aluminium, or HDPE. Note that HDPE (e.g. as found as the material of milk bottles) is fully recyclable, you can simply melt it at home and re-use it (see also HDPE wasteboard)

See → Filament Material Table for which filament needs what (enclosure or not, nozzle temperature, attaching to print bed or not).

Besides the possibility of buying a 3d printer enclosure from the 3d printer manufacturer, you can use a photo tent instead, or build an enclosure yourself with two Ikea LACK tables.

I see you want to stay at max. $300. Onefinity’s recommendation may be a good one (I have no experience with this 3d printer).

I own a Prusa i3 MK3S+. Some people say, if you want to improve your 3d printer, buy a Creality Ender. If you want to 3d print, buy a Prusa.

3 Likes