Repeatability of Router Seating

Just watched the new maintenance video from OF. Oiling the Z requires removing the router. I don’t have my machine yet, so forgive if this is dumb question, but…
Tramming the router - that is making adjustments to the mounting plates on the gantry, not the actual, er, “grip” on the router casing, right? Does the router register so positively in its’ mount that we don’t have to retram (I don’t know if that is a word) after every maintenance cycle?

1 Like

Hey John,

No if you remove the router you would need to re-tram it to get it perfect. The collar for the router is tight, but not what a machinist would say was in tolerances.

-Alex

1 Like

I have found it difficult to make the tramming adjustments. Is there an easier way than loosening the bolts and shimming through trial and error? When you tighten the bolts every thing moves a little. Even with a dial caliper getting an accurate adjustment is difficult because the gantry was never designed to be trammed.

initially I was shimming the router itself but later saw someone shim the axis blocks themselves. Need to go through mine as my last surfacing showed a need to tram… Need to ensure the collet is clean first though.

2 Likes

I just cleaned the collets and the nut. But I will replace my nut now. I can see wearing on the inside of the nut. The parts do wear so will have to replace them. I will keep spars on hand and order when they are used.

I haven’t found recommendation for how often the oiling should be done…

2 Likes

John - BJ asked that question in the comments on the video - answer is “every couple hundred hours”. So completely dependent on how much you use it. But I’d probably treat it like a car oil change - 5000 miles or 3 months :wink:

-Tom

1 Like

So, when I pack up my Onefinity and shlepp it to Jiffy Lube, will they pull a perfectly normal air filter, tell me it’s dirty and needs replacing like they do with the family car?? :innocent:

1 Like

The most recent Onefinity YouTube video it covers this

@jnordyke John, for the most part the router holder does a pretty good job, but on this subject you should be aware of this one simple ‘gotcha’, which I’ve outlined here:

1 Like

Thanks for the PSA! I will watch out for this.