Sagging Drag Chains

That’s a bummer. Especially since these clips are listed on Onefinity’s site. I’ll probably end up upgrading the drag chains and angle bracket.

1 Like

Adam I solved my drag chain issue by twisting the VFD cable slightly in the direction of the sag and close the drag chain clips. The cable wants to twist back and it pulls the drag chain with it. I also made this bracket to hold and guide the water lines and cable over the Z. Do you have a 3d printer?

1 Like

I personally think a properly sized and functioning drag chain is a wise cost and time investment for effective long term use.

It looks like the clips are a product of a 3rd party that has established a working relationship with Onefinity, which allows them to showcase products on the official website. Clips are an easy inexpensive fix, but not best practice.

@Dash has offered a fix that works for him, and may for you, which is great.

If you do decide to install a properly sized and well supported drag chain, may I suggest you size it much larger than current needs dictate - I think you will be happy when you find you have room for future unanticipated additions.

1 Like

Hey Tom, hey Adam @adamfenn28,

for a water-cooled spindle without ATC, but with including serious stepper cables, I provided this:

Adam, for anything more than this non-ATC setup, ask Tom, I remember the one Tom has shown above is 100 mm width.

1 Like

Hey Adam,

very impressing images. At first sight, really looks like FUBAR by design, but if you think of it again, the cause is the drag chain guides/drag chain tray that is not able to prevent twist (the part that’s directly under the chain links). It would have to be supported by an aluminium profile that has a profile that can not be twisted.

But as I already said above, I don’t understand why Onefinity with the Elite Series decided to officially have a spindle option but put a drag chain on it that can’t even take the coolant hoses.

1 Like

This is a link to the drag chain I’ve had on my Onefinity Journeyman for about a year now without issues. Although I don’t use a water cooled spindle, it is robust enough to hold up to the weight without issue.

1 Like

Hey Michael, hey all,

on the etsy item page, it says it creates a track of 2 inches (50.8 mm) width at the inside, but there is only a drag chain of 40 mm width included (17 x 40 mm). I assume that a 50 mm wide drag chain would also fit, is that right?

2 inches / 50 mm is much more than the much too small Onefinity drag chain (see drag chain width calculation for your individual needs).

Thanks for providing the link!

The track that holds the drag chain is 2.02" (51.3mm) wide, the drag chain itself is 1.93" (49.02mm) outside and 1.53" (38.86mm) by .7" (17.78mm) tall.
The track and aluminum are very rigid, no problems.
If the outside dimension of the drag chain is 50mm, it would fit. If the outside of the chain is much more than 2", it may be a little tight.
Is that what you need is an ID that is 50MM?

2 Likes

Hey Michael,

me personally I need a bit more width and will design some 3D-printed parts myself, but if you follow the “drag chain computation” link above I would say 50 mm is the minimum if one has a spindle, there I assume inner width. The chain specifications usually mean outer width and are always slightly under the specified width on the outside.

1 Like

Happy to share my file if it helps.

3 Likes

I made friends with my local MS store a long time ago for that reason :grin:
My energy chain is ~113 mm wide, and the distance between the inside of the L channels is ~117 mm - it fits perfectly with just enough clearance. It is very heavy as it is now filled, so staying in the channel is not a problem.

x axis drag chain supports modified final v2.f3d (418.2 KB)

1 Like

Hey all,
Not diasagreeing with the drag chain comment or trying to take anything away from the guy that designed the clip-on printed attachment for the cooling hoses …but it is quite apparent that the stock drag chains on the elite are not made to support the additional cables and hoses of a spindle; let alone clip them on. These machines do nothing but move in all directions all the time (duh). I was to reluctant to even mess with them to add the power cable and through a basic visual inspection they are really only designed to enclose the wires that come inside of them from the factory. Should they be bigger and robust like Tom’s (sweet btw) direct from the factory? Abso-Fin-lutely, maybe that will be on the elite plus along with a z motor that comes with a brake so the slider doesn’t come down on you after the machine is off but until then to all that want to add water cooled spindles either upgrade your drag chain or run through a boom arm (1” electrical conduit bent at a 90 works amazingly well, just debur the end and put a barrier between the hoses and the metal, rubber, tape, printed circle whatever) if you don’t want mess with the chain. It does operate fine for the cables in it. But the 3d printed clips are really just asking for trouble. Just my 2cents fellas

1 Like

I’d like a better chain as well, but don’t see anyone offering a package to upgrade it. I do offer a solution to the Z axis dropping, and at least so far, have 11 customers that have adopted my solution.
Stopping the Z Axis Drop with heavy spindles

3 Likes

[quote=“Pleased2fly, post:36, topic:22230”]
I do offer a solution to the Z axis dropping, and at least so far, have 11 customers that have adopted my solution.
Stopping the Z Axis Drop with heavy spindles
[/quote]. This is the most elegant solution I’ve seen to this problem so far. I’m using those rails to mount my v9 dust boot from PwnCNC. I’ll look to see if they’ll interfere. If not, I’m in.

I looked through the posts and did not see an Amazon link to the chains you recommended? Can you share a link? How many ft did you need to buy?

Any updates on what you did. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

I’d love to see some pictures when you get it ready. I’m finally going to upgrade my drag chain now.

Hey Adam,

have you made any progress yet?

Not yet. I’ll be ordering parts tomorrow or Monday.

I was at lowe’s the other day look at their aluminum angle… is 1.5x1.5x1/8" really necessary for this? How much weight is going in the drag chain? I was thinking 3/4x3/4 x 1/8 or 1/16 might be sufficient.

Do you have any pics yet?