Shop space prep

I’ve recently ordered the X-50 Journeymen for my hobby woodshop.(it’s my 1st CNC machine!) Just finished building the table it will sit on in my shop. Take a look.
What are some of the setups others are using?

7 Likes

Nice setup John!! Here’s my setup for the Journeyman and I have the old X-rail sitting in front for comparison. Still need to finish out the drawers and cabinet door.

7 Likes

Hey thanks! I’m anxiously awaiting a September delivery for mine. In the mean time I’m digging into the nuts and bolts of CNC basics, bits and Vetric V carve Pro software. It’s a while new world for me.

1 Like

What’s the dimension of your table top?

Morning Mitz,

Where did you get the biege metal rack that is your primary skeleton? I have them in my gargage from Gorilla Rack but much wider… have not seen something in the ~48" range. Do you mind sharing where you found those?

Thanks,
-Alex

1 Like

After looking closely, it looks like it may be a couple of shelving units/ half height put back to back, like a 72Wx12"D or 18" deep and then another behind that that is likely 36" deep. I am pretty sure you can buy 72wx48dX96H, but it is pricey. I like the setup… I went 44x64 Kreg and built top to 49x69 MDF plus 3/4 inch trim around the outside. It will just hold the journeyman, hence why I think he is probably 72" wide give or take a few inches.

1 Like

Hey Alex- I got the metal storage rack frame at my local Menards. They don’t come in a 48” size (at least they don’t at my store) however it does come in a 30” and 17” which I bolted together to get to 47”. 72” rails were used. After skinning it out with 3/4” melamine panel, the overal table footprint is approx 48-1/2” x 78”. After pricing out the cost of lumber to do the whole thing, this wound up saving me about $120 and it’s a very solid!

3 Likes

I trimmed out a 3/4” panel of melamine for the table which was 49” x 81” with 3/4” x 3/4” trim for a final dimension of 50-1/2 x 82-1-2 on the table top

Thanks Mitz that is super helpful, I’ll check out my local Mendards and see what they have in my store.

Cheers’
-Alex

https://www.menards.com/main/storage-organization/shelves-shelving-units/steel-component-shelving/xtreme-garage-reg-heavy-duty-steel-end-frame/1365053/p-1525069762979.htm

Mitz

Thats a great price for build your own. Wish I had a Menards anywhere close…

1 Like

So far its just a 5x5 piece of bb on the wall. I put together a closed loop cooling system and have 3hp spindle ready. Got a bunch of bits and I’m playing with vcarve. I’m excited but since I switched so many options I have to wait till mid September instead of early august.