Sometimes my Y1 motor stops working, but the others work fine

The right motor (I guess called B, confusingly) always works fine, as do all the others. But sometimes, usually during a carve, but occasionally right AFTER a carve, the Y1 motor just stops doing anything. The B motor isn’t aware that Y1 isn’t working, so it just continues to move the gantry, albeit in a weird arc now, since the gantry is now rotating around whereever the Y1 motor stopped working.

Should I send a tech support request, or is this a common issue? It ruins most of my carves eventually

This is not a common condition and I would contact support.

Do you know which motor it is? If so, at least with the BB controller, you can swap the two cables where they plug into the controller. If the problem moves to the other Y motor then you will need a replacement controller. Probably not the problem.

I would also inspect the cables looking for a pin inside a connector that doesn’t look like it’s seated correctly. Another thing you could do is swap motors from side to side. It’s a bit more difficult as the connector is inside the lower tube. To get at it you need to remove a screw to release the 3d printed connector mount in the end of the tube. The screw is on the bottom of the tube so you’ll most likely have to unbolt the 1F from the table. Most likely you’ll need 1F support but if you can narrow it down you can speed up the amount of time you’ll be on the phone or sending emails back and forth.

Most likely a loose motor coupler if it’s not alarming on the screen: Troubleshooting: Rail is getting hung, stuck, grinding, or moving in opposite direction (x35/x50 machines)

1 Like

I’ve been trying to follow that guide but since it’s for a different model, it’s tough to know what to do. For instance, the wiring is totally different. I pulled apart the whole thing to see if there was a loose connection inside the tube and there is no connection in the tube at all, it’s just runs of wire. Because the guide is so specific about steps, I’m not sure if I’ve followed the spirit of the idea enough to transition to the next step. I did follow the first few steps, up to part of the third link-link-link (eg: a link within a link within a link, ie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyB5QJ7neVQ) before I got lost. Is there a guide for the Elites? I assume not, so from the third meta-meta-link, can I continue onto the ‘how to remove the motor from a different model’ and hope it is the same? If I can, should I worry about the giant highlighted part that says I need to have my wires crossed? Because mine are not crossed, because the wires on the elite are not crossed.