Spindle Information

I know that a few months ago my wife wanted a Cricut Maker, and there was a wait to get one. I’ve noticed the same with other crafting items. However bad Covid has been, it’s been very friendly to certain market segments, and definitely to Amazon & delivery services. I know I’ve found myself with more spare $$ at hand due to not going out all the time.

2 Likes

My wife and I were just having this same conversation last night. During that conversation she expressed interest in getting a Cricut to start doing her own thing. I am all for it so I guess now I start looking at sales for Black Friday to see if I can find her one with some accessories.

1 Like

We had (and still are) having an awful time with Cricut customer service. We purchased the Maker ‘bundle’ package. The machine would not cut various card stock no matter how we played with settings (far beyond just a tweak of the factory settings). Our initial call to customer service directed us to email them for faster service. After 5 unanswered emails, we called again and finally got through to someone. Long story short (or has that ship sailed, lol?), we got an RMA to return the machine. They refunded a portion of the $$, but we have filed a claim with our bank for the balance. In the mean time, my sis gave my wife an essentially unused Cricut Joy machine, and it has worked flawlessly. Although not as robust or capable of a cutter, it just works better.

I was able to find and purchase a Makita router at my local Home Depot. It was the last one on the shelf. I ran out a bought it after reading this thread as I was afraid I might not be able to find one when my OF arrives.

Does anyone have a link to collets for the makita router? I know it comes with one for 1/4 end mills but is there a cooler for 1/8 end mills or something else to use. I have the dewalt 611 router and have some collets for that but I don’t think they would fit the makita. Any info helps. Thanks!

1 Like

Check out this thread. Got mine and it looks great. @MindOfMcClure hooked us up with a $5 discount, which covers most of the shipping. Thanks again, Alex!

4 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t see that post before. Will look into those now

2 Likes

Products are out there in the wild. I bought a Makita router off the shelf at the local HD. I picked up a Logitech 170 web cam off the shelf at the local OD. I also purchased the Elaire 1/8 collet and received prompt delivery. I will likely be eating Thanksgiving dinner before i see my OF.

In case you guys haven’t seen it, the Makita routers are back in stock on Amazon! We will probably keep seeing rolling tool shortages from time to time until things stabilize in the world.

1 Like

You buy what they call an adapter that fits overr the 1/8 inch bit and then fits into the 1/4 inch collet

I just bought 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch collets for the makita router from Elaire listed above.

2 Likes

I actually bought an 1/8 inch bit-holding collet for the router from Elaire. I don’t think those little bit adapters hold the bit very snugly and they tend to introduce more wobble in the bit.

3 Likes

Both the 1/8" and 1/4" fit amazingly snugly with zero wobble in the past 2 months I’ve been using them there has been absolutely no issues even cutting through Rock Maple which I do a lot of.

After several months of use I would still highly recommend the Elaire colletts! :+1:

-Alex

1 Like

I’ve been using the Elaire collets for years - they work great. Collet reducers on the other hand can introduce a lot of run out. That might be ‘acceptable’ for large bits, but will destroy smaller bits pretty quickly, especially if you are doing a relatively deep profile.

-Tom

3 Likes

Ben, where can you find the Makita for $99?

I got mine at the local Home Depot, I have seen others get them from Amazon.

I got mine from Amazon for $99 and Home Depot as well has it for that price.

Hi @OnefinityCNC any update on the 80mm spindle? I think I saw that you were just finalizing some details, but I couldn’t find the post.

nothing yet. when we have more info, we’ll share it.

3 Likes

Slab flattening bit for zombies? or Mortising bit? or Forstner?

1 Like