Spindle Information

Charley,

I have purchased a Onefinity woodworker machine and I would like to use a 2.2KW spindle. I plan to mill aluminum on it. Is the spindle diameter 65mm or 80mm and is it 110 volt? Also, if it is a 80mm diameter did you have to modify the mounting bracket that came with the new spindle so that it fit the existing mounting holes on the slider?

James - welcome to the forums. In short, you cannot modify the OF to accept a spindle other than 65mm. Search the forum for other threads about this if you want the details. OF is working on an 80mm mount (there are also threads about that).

-Tom

@bhcraft While it is true I do have and use a 2.2KW setup, it is not on the OneFinity. It is actually on a custom cnc that I built. With that said, I am sure that it is very possible to adapt a mount that would work. I haven’t. The 2.2KW Water Cooled Spindle is an 80mm spindle. You can get them in both Air Cooled and Water Cooled versions as well as 110 and 22 vac. Mine happens to be a 110vac configuration and is water cooled. I have had it for over 2 years and it has been flawless.

2 Likes

Charley,

Thank you so much for the information. I greatly appreciate it. God bless America.

Charley,
Do you mind sharing which vfd/spindle you have? Thanks

Mine uses a Huanyang VFD and a 80mm Spindle with Japanese bearings and has a runout of less than 0.0002" as I measured it. It looks like the one pictured below.

4 Likes

Hi Charles,

Does the clamp that comes with the spindle work with the OneFinity?

Thanks for sharing this information.

That clamp will not work with the onefinity

FYI, Amazon has (or had) them in stock a week or so ago for just the router, $99
Got mine not long ago… Jan 2021

@salty I son’ thave the vfd and spindle on my OneFinity, I have the Makita. I have the 2.2KW setup on a different cnc machine. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Charley,

First off, thank you for all the fine advice to give us in the Forum, you’re all over the place, and I have come to trust your opinions.

Q: What ratio of antifreeze to distilled water do you use for your spindle coolant?

Q: How do you have the pump turned on? Manually? or does it come on thru gcode like the spindle can (as I understand)?

Q: Is there a good (& simple) resource to help me take advantage of all I can do with the spindle thru the controller, or gcode?

I just got my Mysweety water-cooled spindle wired up today, and I’ll have it running tomorrow, after I add the fluid. I replaced the water tubing for the clear ones so I can see the fluid flowing. I’m placing the coolant container and the VFD on the top of the CNC enclosure with the cord and tubes coming thru the top, and hung from inside, and not part of the drag chain.

Thank you again!
Kevan

1 Like

Hi Kevan,

Good questions and congrats on the spindle upgrade. I know you won’t be disappointed.

I mix mine just like you would if you were using it in your car. The exact ration depends on the brand you get. Typically it is 50/50 but some come premixed.

I installed a standard household light switch in a convenient location so when I flip it on, it powers up the VFD and turns on the water pump. When I am not carving I flip the switch off to avoid any accidental spindle operation. You could use a M7 and M8 gcode commands to turn the water on and off within your carving file but that just requires more wiring. I had always been accustom to turning the spindle on and off manually before I got my VFD so the light switch was a natural fit for me.

There are videos on Youtube that can help with that. However, I have yet to find one that lays everything out clearly. If you have the Huanyang VFD and the printed manual, it is confusing at first. Tip: The manual has two sections dealing with the VFD PD settings. The first one is the shortlist of PD#'s and default settings with a brief description. But the next sections gives a full explanation of each of the PD settings. Keep in mind that the default settings are not always the correct settings. Below are the setting for my system that you can use as a reference: PD Settings not listed were left at default settings.

6 Likes

Charley,

Thank you, your tips were spot-on. I’ve now got the spindle, tubes and water/antifreeze all set up.

NEXT NEOPHYTE Q:
Q: Collets & bits?

I guess there was a part of me that assumed I could use my previous Makita collets for this spindle… now I realize that was a poor assumption.

I’ve got some nice Freud 1/4" bits that I would want to use with this spindle; is that possible? The collets I got with the spindle are too small, and the bits that came with it look week.

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

These are what I am going to order.

I went for thoses precisions collets/nut and wrench from precisebits.com. There is also super precision one on their web site.
ERPG-ER11M-SPN
ERPG-ER11M-NUT
ER11-Collets

1 Like

Thanks Ghislain B, I like yours better and will be changing my Amazon order.

Anyone know of an ER11 collet for the Makita? I really like the multi-prong wrench over the normal spanner.

With the Makita being different than the ER11, I don’t think there is anything like you are asking for.

Yeah, figured. Thanks Grant.

-Tom

@OnefinityCNC, are you provide any updates with respect to when the 80 mm spindle mount will be available?