T track? Or no t track

How many of you are planning to or are using t track? I am starting to plan my waste board and could go either way.

The glue is drying as we speak on the laminating two 3/4" plys together.

I plan to route T-track directly in and add dog holes. That should wield plenty of options.

1 Like

So you use mdf as your waste board and tape and glue to secure?

I actually used two half of good project plywood. We’ll see if that was smart or dumb.

T Tracks for me all the way!

3 Likes

I’m with the T-Track team, I had threaded inserts in my X-Carve for 4 years and while they have their benefits, the ease and use of the T-Track (IMO) outweighs them.

That said; Threaded inserts are great for installing your Wasteboard Runners… LOL

-Alex

2 Likes

I am also going to use T-Track with MDF strips. I feel it gives me the most long term flexibility with easy replacement.

Any chance you would share the t track you use and the dimensions of the mdf strips? I am wanting to get as close to ready I can.

Sure I used this T-Track (It was the best price I could find on Amazon.

As for my strips of MDF (it kinda depends on how big your wasteboard is, and how many T-Tracks you want to have. My MDF strips are 4 11/16" wide and 32.25" long

Just add up the total width of all the tracks you want to have and divide by 32.25" and you’ll have your spacer width. I added one more on each side of the cut area so I could clamp in from the ends as well.

Hope that helps!
-Alex

4 Likes

At this point, I’m leaning towards threaded inserts. But I am still on the fence, but since my machine will be en route next week, I need to make a decision :rofl:

I have designs for T-Track, M5 threaded inserts (same as my X-Carve), and 1/4-20 inserts. Since I have some T-Track hold downs, I might go that way. But threaded inserts are much less expensive. But when it comes to replacing, T-Track is way easier. So, yeah, still debating :wink:

As someone else noted, Orange Aluminum has great prices on T-Track.

-Tom

I’m on team t-track. Ordered mine from Orange Aluminum in 36" pieces and will allow the long side to stick out the back side of the cutting area.

I was about to order from Orange given the inexpensive nature of their track, but it was going to be over $40 for shipping to the east coast, so I ordered some from Amazon and actually saved a little money. So now I have a project for this weekend :wink:

-Tom

1 Like

T Trac is the way that i have decided to go. Then replaceable MDF between the trac.
Larry

I am going with 1/4 20 inserts in MDF below the wasteboard. Wasteboard will have larger holes to feed the hold down bolts through to the T nuts. If the T-nuts are in the lower level, they will never need to be changed.

As this is my first CNC, I decided to learn on just a sheet of MDF and use screws in safe areas or tape and super glue as hold downs. Glad I did. Have had a few miscalculations like my 3/4" stock that was really 5/8" and already had too deep of a cut defined as well as a lot of generally just a bit too deep cutting in the front left 2/3rds of the wasteboard.

That has been working well for me. I like that i can resurface it a few times before replacing it. I also like that if I have some catastrophic poo for brains moment I am out MDF, not t-tracks nor bits from aggressively mutilating them.

2 Likes

I am in the same boat as you. My first CNC. I plan on using screws ca glue and double sided tape to start. My second choice will be the screw downs in the board because they are down so far that I will really have to screw up to hit them.

Having run a bunch on it this weekend I am thinking a few threaded insert around the y and x outer bounds would allow me the use of some hold downs as well but be in a safe region.

@OldNewbie - I still use the tape method when I need to mill something without clamps in the way. But I don’t use it all the time since the blue tape is quite expensive - a couple rolls of that and you can pay for some T-track :wink:

-Tom

1 Like

Orange was a winner with free ship for $100 customers. T-Slot for will be used for the enclosure structure so it works out. Black Friday yes.

2 Likes

Good news. My 1F arrived and although missing the mounting bolts for the monitor, 100% in working order. I thought I would share my first project.

As stated earlier in this thread, I elected to stay with T-Track. Further, I have 1in MDF floating on the table. I have them locked on three sides and with the hold downs on the main table top of 3/4in Baltic Birch I suspect I don’t need to anchor them to the table. Time will tell.

6 Likes