Toolpath Troubleshootiing VCarve Pro

Hoping for some help to figure out where I’ve gone wrong with this toolpath.
I imported this logo as a pdf and bitmap traced it and cleaned up the nodes in vcarve pro. I’m using the Jenny 60 vbit and I’ve double checked that my settings are correct in my database.

I’ve deleted the span on the top of the logo where it’s not carving correctly and drawn a new polyline. But it’s still lifting the bit making curves in the carve. I’m using the makita router.

Any suggestions?

You seem to have the bit set up wrong. Screen is cut off but isn’t that saying your bit is 3" wide? Should be 0.5" EDIT: It’s a 3/8" so 0.375" would be correct.

Also, your cutting depth has a flat depth of 0.12, which likely means you will end up with a flat bottom. If you have a flat bottom with a V-bit you need a very small step over. I’m not sure your 7% will give you a good flat bottom. You may want to use a clearance tool as well such as a 1/16" end mill to get a flat bottom without a fine step over on the V-Bit.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll make some changes and try it again. I don’t want a flat bottom.

Updated bit settings and unclicked flat bottom. Carve is perfect! Thank you!!

2 Likes

I’m glad to help. (extra characters to keep this message system happy.)

Also, though it may not affect your carve, but your bit setting shows you have a 3 flute bit, which may be incorrect.

It is actually a 3 flute. https://www.cadencemfgdesign.com/product-page/60-groovee-jenny

1 Like

That’s interesting. I did not know that. I hadn’t seen a 60V more than 2 flutes. Learned something new.
Now looking at the specifics, the Groovee Jenny is “3/8” diameter with cutting depth of “.3”; therefore, your Diameter (D) should reflect “3/8” or .375.

1 Like

You’re right. I missed that, just assumed it was a 1/2"

1 Like

Thank you for the input. I’ll fix those settings.