Universal Z Axis Assembly

Instead of having a custom Z Axis assembly for each type and size spindle.

How about developing a universal Z Axis with a flat mounting plate that would allow for custom brackets to be designed and used with any spindle you would like to try and mount.

This approach would also seem to fit in very nicely with the new customized machine ordering model.

Sort of like this example image…

Obviously the above image is just an example and the design would need to be prettied up to be in line with Onefinity’s sexy machine style.

7 Likes

I love that idea. :+1:

That’s a very smart & universal design, and if done correctly, will make repeated tramming unnecessary if the spindle carrier is located with dowel pins.

I did something very similar with my x-carve, then adopted the same concept on a micro CNC mill I built.

1 Like

My guess is that 1F is testing a single 80mm mount option - although it would be great to be wrong - but the idea of a universal z assembly would in the long run be worth their effort to develop. It would be even better if a NEMA-like standard existed for the mounting of spindles/routers of various sizes. While I wait for that, perhaps the 1F universal mount could have holes predrilled to accept some commonly found mounts made available by other manufacturers. Rover CNC makes a solid 80mm mount (as well as a whole assembly) - but you have to be partial to red anodized aluminum.

2 Likes

This is what a replacement spindle mounting block might look like for the 1F, less the front mounting holes. Only down-side I see is that it would place the centerline of the spindle out slightly farther from the support of the rails (more disadvantageous leverage). But realistically, it should work fine.

That is a good point, especially if going with a larger spindle. Would you guess perhaps 2-3cm more forward than the current centre?

1 Like

Perhaps even a little more when it’s all said and done.

Edit: Here’s a mock-up of what a 65mm spindle block would look like. The plane closest to the spindle block represents the current spindle centerline on the stock 1F. The outer plane is the centerline of the aftermarket spindle holder. Offset would be nearly 4 with this spindle holder… even more with a larger one.

1 Like

With a whole new assembly, like the RoverCNC option, the front of the mounting plate would be approximately 8.5cm from where it would attach to the 1F x axis blocks. Would you estimate this puts a spindle mount centre closer or further from the 1F x rails than your drawing version - just curious.

That is becoming a significant offset.

1 Like

According to my stack-up, it looks like about 70mm from 1F mounting face to the front of my block.

1 Like

Thank you for checking, I appreciate it. Seems that if 1F decide to make an 80mm spindle assembly, vs a ‘universal’ version, we will benefit from the spindle centre being as close as it can get to the x rails. Looks like a new assembly from other manufacturers, like that from RoverCNC as an example, still puts the spindle about 1.5cm further out.

Yes, the 1F option would most likely be the best bet. Even if someone had a need for a slightly smaller diameter, at least you would have the option of making adapter bushings for it. From what I understand, they have decided to make the 80mm version, but it’s still in development.

There’s not much to the actual design, but I’m sure they have sourcing concerns… whether to machine from solid, or invest in extrusion tooling.

I do hope they make it a full 2" thick to fit between the snap-ring grooves of the bearings, to maximize support.

A universal Z assembly wouldn’t have to be that thick and wouldn’t necessarily need to be based on the current assembly. It could be designed using linear rails instead of smooth rods.

2 Likes

Absolutely. The example you show is very similar to the RoverCNC version I linked. I am curios if this one extends the mounting plate the same 8.5cm, or if it is less.

I will soon receive the OF, and I decide to buy an 80mm spindle because there is at least a viable solution in 3D printing. I put my hopes on the final share of Hrubeskyr 80mm spindle mount.
But seeing your beautiful 3d representation it reminded me the idea I had before to radically modify the original 65mm spindle mounting block. But I do not have the dimensions of the OF spindle support to evaluate the feasibility. In your opinion, could the current 65mm OF spindle mounting block be cut in a plane close to the rail support to accommodate the RoverCNC Solid Spindle Mount there, in a similar way to your scheme. According to the dimensions of the diagram provided 80mm Solid Spindle Mount – RoverCNC Online Store it would be necessary to be able to make 4 holes minimum separated by 80mm between the rail support and separated by 30mm on the height (the OF support does not seem high enough to pass the 6 holes provided by RoverCNC)
Is it realistic to your opinion?

Not so much doable, based on what you mentioned about the existing holder not having enough height. I don’t have that measurement (can check it later). You could make an adapter plate to transition from the 65mm holder to the 80mm holder, but that would be a poor compromise.

Even the block I designed is not a good option because it is only 2" thick (based on maximum thickness to fit the existing bearings) and not I’d say either a completely new z-axis similar to what Tom @GroovyLaser posted, or wait & see what Onefinity comes up with on their 80mm mount offering.

Thanks Bill, you put your finger on the heart of the problem for many of us who are waiting for delivery,
therein lies the problem “wait and see” but how long, no communication on the roadmap for knowingly adapt my strategy. Between 1, 2, 3 months … 1 year it changes everything. It would be enough just to have this info, how long afterwards, each one could adapt his strategy of purchasing the engine that suits him, and build workarounds or not if he is in a hurry.

1 Like

Agreed John, one has to determine their threshold of the pain of waiting & not knowing. Obviously, there is a huge demand for this and I’m sure Onefinity will answer the call.

For me personally, the appeal of a new assembly would be increased rigidity (a custom Z-axis assembly makes sense from a business point of view for Onefinity) for milling hard materials like steel.

Does anyone have thoughts/experience on a good design/materials to use with maximizing rigidity (for an 80mm spindle) as the primary goal?