Machinist in X-50

Hey TheColonel26, hey Bill, all,

this is one of the machines I could have bought if I hadn’t bought the Onefinity (Ben @ben I think you would appreciate the 43 mm Euro mount :slight_smile:). As you can see here, it is advertised with milling a knife video out of 1.2510 (100MnCrW4) / 1.2842 (90MnCrV8) (cold-work) tool steel (corresponds O1/O2).

Regarding price it compares if you consider we paid 650 $ shipping for the Onefinity and over 400 EUR import VAT and that Onefinity lacks milling motor, drag chains, and for me it remains to be proven whether QCW frame suits as a basis. It uses ball screws on X and Y axes like Onefinity (only Z is trapezoidal thread leadscrew) and steel rods as linear guides, but both much smaller as on Onefinity, and the rods don’t look chrome-plated (also since they have to be oiled according to the manual). The linear bearings seem to be plain bearings as opposite to linear ball bearings on the Onefinity. Also there are differences on X gantry and on Z slider and especially on Z mount.

The Z Slider’s and mount weakness with the Onefinity has been discussed here, here, here, and here (add threads if I missed some). And hard to believe that once the Onefinity’s Z slider was planned to be even more delicate before 2020-07-20.

But there seem to be a certain consensus that besides this (and something I better not mention), Onefinity is very solid. Therefore I think I will remain among those who will in the back of their minds keep thinking about how the Z slider and milling motor mount could be modified or replaced on the Onefinity. In any case I think I will do a few Z pulling and X twisting measuring experiments before coming to a final judgement (and also a judgement on how far we can go with milling steel).

Bill, @Machinist do you really still use this trim router as milling motor? With your background and your experience I wonder why you’re not among those with a spindle.

One question (I don’t own such a router): Why is everyone actually pushing the trim router as far into the mount as they can? Is there a special reason to do so? The trimmer base is allowed to be clamped at the end, where the main bearing is, isn’t it? With my spindle, I can understand that it must not be clamped all the way down, the manufacturer states, only above the marking is allowed. But here? Reduction of the distance you show above would be substantial, since lower edge of milling motor mount is only 0.776" above lower Z frame edge when Z is lowest.

Anyway the machine mentioned above also uses a milling motor that is a noisy universal motor with sparks-emitting carbon-brush commutators, but the distance you mention is much smaller here:

z_axis_cnc_router_high_z_t_series_50pct

2 Likes