USB Stick Suddenly Not Being Read

I have been using the same set of USB sticks to transfer my .ngc files for months, no issues at all except for the annoying error when I plug the USB stick back into the computer, but no big deal.

However today, I load the USB stick and the files are not being read. I am formatting the USB now according to some history on the forum.

Why would it work fine and then today, not?

Bill

Bill,
The memory on a USB stick wears down based on how many times you’ve written to it. One possibility is that the USB stick was heavily used and very old. If this is the case, it will likely continue to malfunction. Another possibility is that when you were writing to it, that you pulled the stick out before the last little bit was written. This can corrupt the data and you’re reformat should clear up the problem (I would think). Memory being memory, static could always be possible issue and I bet there are a whole host of other possibilities.

Let us know how the reformatting worked out for you.

2 Likes

Thanks John… yes that makes sense and fully understand that issue.

Prior to the issue, when I would insert the USB stick and then select the “open file” button, the controller seemed to know the USB was there and the files were immediately on the first screen that was present.

Now, after reformatting, I have to select the USB amongst several other folders, and navigate to where the actual file is located.

Before it seemed automatic and intuitive, now it feels very computer-ish.

Just curious what happened… but as long as it works great. I have used the upload feature via wi-fi, but in my setup that is not practical as I design in my home office, and CNC is in my workshop which is a different building.

I would suggest testing a different USB flash drive if you have one to see if it has the same behavior. As others mentioned it could be your current USB flash drive is reaching the end of it’s lifespan and may fail completely soon.

So I have tried two different USBs, and they both work, but differently now.

Now when I select file open, there are two tabs at the top of the screen. I have to select Media, then select the USB stick, then select the file.

Before, the system would open straight to the USB stick with the file present.

Just curious what happened.