Unable to open files on flash drive

John Tyrone: tyty1936@yahoo.com.
Using VCarve Pro 9.519 for design. Download to onn usb 3.0 flash drive, fortmatted to NTFS. I take the drive to the controller, the file is indicated, but when I attempt to open I get a bold X at the end of the file.
File: surface spoilboard 1.0" ngc then the X. I have searched every where I know to look and can not find anything pertaining to this subject. Any help appreciated.

You cannot use a USB 3 stick has to be USB 2.

1 Like

I am having the same problem as John Tyrone and yes. I am using USB3s. I’ll buy some USB 2s. How big they can be? Thank you in advance!

I don’t know how much in depth I may have posted, but this is where I am –
Firstly, I activate the switch on the power strip, turn on the controller, after booting the screen indicates that a program “od enough v60.ngc” is in the machine. This is a program I loaded previously. After homing and zeroing this program will work as it should. However, the same program is included in the USB files 2.0 32GBm formatted to NTSF prior to saving. This program will not work, nor will any other files on the USB. When asking for a download from the controller results in a bold black X at the end of the file name.

When closing down I hit the flyout menu and then the shut down icon. A black screen appears, monitor stays on, showing rectangle with info in picture moving across screen. At this point I turn off the power strip and the monitor goes blank.

I am using Windows 10, VCarve Pro 9.519, Post Prossessor onefinity(inch)(*ncg) I do not have internet in my shop, therefore, I design my files in home office, upload to USB, open controller and hope for the best. Always the same results as above.

Yes, it’s me again! I took my controller to a professional computer guy who reflashed the card for me. NOW, I have another issue — prior to the flash I could access any of the USB drives I have (using 2.0 32GB) but, now the screen does not indicate that a USB is even available. There is one file in the box that can be opened and ran. This from previous usage. As you may imagine, I am getting a little unsettled with my inability to utilize the machine.
Please advise if remedy is available. Thank you.

Firstly, I activate the switch on the power strip, turn on the controller, after booting the screen indicates that a program “od enough v60.ngc” is in the machine. This is a program I loaded previously. After homing and zeroing this program will work as it should. However, the same program is included in the USB files 2.0 32GBm formatted to NTSF prior to saving. This program will not work, nor will any other files on the USB. When asking for a download from the controller results in a bold black X at the end of the file name.

When closing down I hit the flyout menu and then the shut down icon. A black screen appears, monitor stays on, showing rectangle with info in picture moving across screen. At this point I turn off the power strip and the monitor goes blank.

I am using Windows 10, VCarve Pro 9.519, Post Prossessor onefinity(inch)(*ncg) I do not have internet in my shop, therefore, I design my files in home office, upload to USB, open controller and hope for the best. Always the same results as above.

are you saving the design files (.crv) or the gcode (.ngc) on the usb stick? the controller cannot see .crv and can only see the gcode .ngc files.

Thank you for your reply and sorry for delay in responding. I am saving to ngc. Now my question to you is “could the problem be in the controller itself?” I have attached recent files for inspection. Thank your for your patience in handling this account. Hopefully it will prove to be operator malfunction.

test carve 8 11 21 v60.ngc (34.4 KB)

green v60.ngc (235 KB)

try removing the spaces between the words

Gentlemen, thank you for the prompt responses received from my multiple requests Your information was invaluable. Using said info, I stumbled through the learning process and finally was able to find my own solutions. The machine is fantastic and a joy to use. Thanks gain, John Tyrone

Yes, it’s me again! I took my controller to a professional computer guy who reflashed the card for me. NOW, I have another issue — prior to the flash I could access any of the USB drives I have (using 2.0 32GB) but, now the screen does not indicate that a USB is even available. There is one file in the box that can be opened and ran. This from previous usage. As you may imagine, I am getting a little unsettled with my inability to utilize the machine.
Please advise if remedy is available. Thank you.

Hey John,

can you insert your USB stick into a PC and rename the file with a name containing no spaces and no hidden characters. e. g. “myfile.nc”

Also maybe this may be of interest:

1 Like