Utillity of 1F in the shop

I just want to comment on how much more versatile our Woodworker is becoming in relation to what we hoped we’d use it for. Our dream is to, at some point, be able to craft intricate pierced wood panels and the like, but today I used it to flatten/surface an epoxy river table.

Unthinking, I almost began using a messy router sled to do the job then realized the CNC could do it much quicker, cleaner, and with less personal effort! Duh! In the next couple days I’ll use it to cut the pocket slots for the table’s leg mounts rather than doing it manually. (A confession though. The surfacing revelation caused me to realize I should also use the drum sander to begin the sanding process too… Your probably thinking I’m fairly dense, I know, but what can I say.)

The 1F promises to become a great new tool and I’m looking forward to exploring more opportunities as time marches forward.

Perhaps there are others who would like to share their 1F shop discoveries too.

5 Likes

Excellent points Phil. I will tell you, I’ve tried to use my drum sander on a river desk and it was NO fun. I have many hours of video of us struggling to get the desk through my relatively small 16/32 sander. I suppose if you had a large belt sander it would make sense, but muscling that slab into the sander was an epic failure for me. Using the CNC to get the initial flatten done and then the drum sander to finalize would probably best.

-Tom

That is exactly the process I undertook after I realized both the 1F and drum sander were the perfect tools for the job. It was just old habits that got in the way at the outset for me.

Like so many computer-controlled machines, they can be used in so many ways, some not even imagined or experienced yet. With that being said, don’t confuse your customer as to what your business does. Trying to be all things to all people because you can is a big mistake. Keep your focus more narrow and become the expert at your specialization. The path will be much easier.

1 Like