Venting over CNC not Working

Hey everyone. Please allow me to vent. I waited almost 3 months for my OF and when it arrived I could not get connectivity to the controller. (Still unable to) I emailed support numerous times to no avail. I have had two outstanding users trying to walk me through in making connected.

All I want to do is connect a laptop to the controller via ethernet to a USB-C. I have wifi in the garage and am not installing a router in the garage. I’m told I do not have to get this running. It almost seems like there’s no software on the controller. I ping and ping and ping and still nothing. I no computer wiz at all but Aiph5u and WaywardWoodworker have busted their butts trying to help me. Now I’ve ordered the screen that is often ordered with OF in hopes that it will recognize the controller.

It seems tome that OF did not check the equipment before shipping it to me. You would think that would be number one before shipping their CNC’s to customers. I can tell you as a customer I would appreciate it and I feel OF support would as well.

There, I’m done.

My 1F came with test cut and if my memory serves me right a sticker to the effect.

Getting a screen is a good idea. I use mine a lot in the shop and use a laptop for file transfers.

My experience with 1F has been very positive. I hope yours will be too.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Oh. So the 1F sign that came was cut with the controller sent to me? That makes things a little more weird.

Have you tried just plugging in a keyboard/mouse/Monitor just to get it set with all the correct parameters and then remoting in via a laptop after all the basics are set… Seems like that would be the easiest to get you started.

1 Like

I’m sure you seen this video on how to direct connect your laptop directly to the controller. If you have then I am sure that you will have Reinstall The Onefinity CNC Operating System

Link to: direct connect your laptop directly to the controller

Link to: Reinstall The Onefinity CNC Operating System

Good Luck

1 Like

I plug everything in as directed and I cannot make connection to the controller. it’s like theres nothing there.

Have you tried to Reinstall The Onefinity CNC Operating System?

Phillip,
Again, do you mind telling me what model of HP laptop you have? I want to check one thing on your hardware configuration.

Mattl, i have not yet been able to have my HP laptop recognize the controller. It’s like it’s not there.

It is an HP M/15DY1043DX

I asked about the model number since my HP laptop has a collapsible Ethernet port on the right side that looks more like a USB port (the bottom of the port is spring loaded and opens up for a normal Ethernet cable). It doesn’t appear your model has that feature.

However, I can reconstruct your cabling if you’d like me to walk through the connection and setup. Your call…

1 Like

John, I just sat down for supper. Any chance we could try this in about an hour or so? i realize you have a life too and I so appreciate any help. I want to get cutting.

Phillip,
I’m in Maryland so I’ll be signing off in a bit. I’ll try to find time tomorrow to hook up my other laptop via a USBc to Ethernet adapter and see what I find out. I’ll send you something when I know more. Even if you go with new monitor (which is what I went with), it would be good to know how to hook it up in your current situation.

1 Like

yes sir. I’ll be out of pocket this weekend until after 6;30PM each day. I so appreciate any help I get John. My monitor from OF will arrive tomorrow before &PM and I plan on hooking it up to see what happens. I will surely let everyone know the results>

I did a quick test and here’s what I found:

1. USBc to Ethernet cable to controller works just fine. When I plugged it in, I got both a green and orange light at the Ethernet port on the controller.
  2. I noticed on my controller display, I now showed both the wireless IP address and the new Ethernet IP of 169.254.59.239.
  3. I tried ping’ing this address from the connected laptop and it responded.
  4. Now, when I do a arp -a, it shows the controller’s IP address and MAC.

i just dont understand, thats how its supposed to work but it does not on mine. im going nuts

Start at the physical layer. Did you get a green and orange link light when you plug the cable into the controller?

yes i have a green and orange light

Hey John, FWIW we walked through many of these steps with him over here:

1 Like

That’s good. It means you have physical connectivity between the laptop and the controller. I’m going to assume that every controller picks the same first address of 169.254.59.239. Do you know how, and have you tried, pinging that address from your laptop?