Web cam hooked to controller

When web cam is plugged into controller…when i power controller on it will not let me do anything and i get an error…if i unplug cam it works properly

Which make/model webcam?

Does the webcam work OK with your PC?

Nexigo web cam…if i leave it unplugged.turn it on. Then plugg it in it works fine. I just cant leave it plugged in before turning it on. Which is a pain

I’m using this one. I leave it plugged into the controller and no issues so far.

I also used the Logitech C920 from my PC and had no issues with it but needed to get one I could dedicate to the CNC as I need the Logitech for Zoom meetings.

It was dirt cheap (I paid $11.04, right now it is $13.99) so I figured if it didn’t work no biggie.

I ran into this same issue after the most recent update. Controller boots with usb error code and locks up. It was causing my touchscreen to boot with errors too but after unplugging the webcam I haven’t had any issues since. I thought maybe I just needed a new cam so have not looked into this further. Was working before the update but I did not want to roll the update back just to troubleshoot it.

I have had my display blank a few times and I suspected the webcam first thing because I had recently installed it and it’s also a cheap one. But I had the problem of the display going blank even after removing the webcam and rebooting the controller so it is not looking like the webcam is to blame in my case. Still investigating here.

Maybe look at your cable separation as you may be getting some EMI.

I also have had nothing but problems plugging a USB webcam into the controller. With my experience in building 3D printers I can say that the Raspberry Pi has huge issues with the USB interface. It will lock up the system in a multitude of circumstances. Basically the Raspberry Pi is a cheap off the shelf board that cannot be trusted due to stability problems. One of the biggest problems is when the system locks up in the middle of a carve. At this point you have no other choice but to kill the power to the system because the controller is completely locked up, which then adds the major issue of having to re-home the system after restarting.
The only way I was able to fix the webcam issue was to use an external wireless camera.

1 Like

I tried a webcam and didn’t like it much. I setup a Wyze cam and can check it through their app on my phone.

Hey all,

I don’t know if the webcam problems are usually power problems, but the Onefinity CNC Controller contains a Raspberry Pi 3B (not plus) that is equipped with USB 2.0 ports which, by the USB 2.0 standard, may power devices with up to 500 mA per device[1], but the Raspberry Pi 3B has a maximum total USB peripheral current draw limit of 1200 mA[2], even if the Raspberry Pi is powered with the recommended 2500 mA power supply.

If a webcam comes with an external power supply, I would use it. Adding a USB Hub with an external power supply may or may not help.

2 Likes