What's on your table

Sharing some Veterans Day projects.

10 Likes

Very nice Ken, is the larger flag individual pieces glued together? I like the bevel between the stripes and your stars look really crisp and clean.

Correct. They are individual pieces, placed on a backer board.

1 Like

Really nice job Ken. Thank you for recognizing Veterans. Nice finishes on all of the pieces.

1 Like

Ken, I’m just getting started with my 1F but I have built flags from reclaimed pallets. What program are you using for the star field? Thanks!!!

I started with Easel then moved to VCarve Pro. Although VCarve is a small investment and has a learning curve I find it meets my needs.

1 Like

This is good to hear. I’ve been using Easel in its free form. Plan on VCarve Pro in a couple of weeks. Just started reviewing the Mark Lindsay videos in preparation. Any words of wisdom you could send my way?

Patience :slight_smile:. There is a learning curve and take the time to use the tutorials. One element I didn’t realize early is the use the array. I was making the alignment much harder than necessary!

Something on the table but it’s going to take a while :smiley:

What firmware? Wonder the impact of 1.0.6

Firmware is the core of the controllers processing, it is very important to always keep your firmware up to date as that is how OneFinity addresses critical fixes as well as feature enhancements.

Here is the latest update: Firmware Update 1.0.6 BETA (12/28/2020)

-Alex

I am just starting and the programs I have run work just fine. If 1.0.6 is the one we should use why is it marked beta???

1 Like

1.0.6 a 12” x 18” but has tons of details.

Dave,

If you do not feel comfortable running the BETA version of something then by all means wait, but you should at least update to 1.0.5. I’ve been running .6 since Alpha and have had no issues, on the contrary it fixes a few of the issues I was having with it skipping steps (which destroyed 2 carves 70% into them).

You do what works best for you, I just was trying to answer your question “what is firmware?” and then provide the link to the latest version, it was not a hey you must do this post, more of a way for you to explore what firmware is and read through the forum to expand your understanding.

-Alex

1 Like

Alex,

I am sorry if I offended you in any way. I just received my machine and it came with 1.0.5 installed. So I am using the latest production version. I was hoping you would indicate that 1.0.6 is going production in a day or so. If that were true I would use that version.

Dave

1 Like

Hey Dave, no offense at all :+1:

Yes if you want to wait a few days till .6 comes out of BETA that works, the big enhancements in .6 are the great speed enhancements but to be honest, getting your feet wet a little slower might be a good idea.

Personally, when I updated to .6 the machine moved so fast I jumped, as I was totally not expecting it, especially on XYZ Zero. You really want to make sure your hand and fingers are clean of the probe as it moves really quick.

-Alex

I just added my 2 coats of Danish Oil to these on Sunday for my daughter/son in law to give to their bridal party as gifts at their upcoming wedding on 1/16. Each of the groomsmen valets are personalized with something the groom picked and the ring trays are just the bridesmaids names because of the smaller size.

4 Likes

Alex,

I just got my machine on 12-24-20. I just made my first cuts… flattened the spoil board based on Mark Lindsay video and put markings on the board using Ben Meyer’s program. Both of those processes went really well… The thing that didn’t go well is my wife says it is too loud. So I need to find a muffler for my dust collector. The other thing I need is feeds and speeds for v-bits.

Be well,

Dave

you could upgrade to a much quieter spindle and not use your dust collection but rather clean up after each piece. Not perfect but much quieter.

Something related to the title of the post (“what’s on your table”) not the previous entry: a 100mm long 12mm diameter end mill - it’s great and very big. Viewed from my security camera as I’m not in the workshop. Using it to produce a parallel and perpendicular edge for vertical cutting. I must finish it tomorrow, or maybe the next day.

2 Likes