Whats the best way to flatten qcw?

I have the secure from above qcw wasteboard on a woodworker and i wanted to flatten it but you cannot flatten the whole board. what are you guys doing, putting another wasteboard on top like in the onefinity flattening a wasteboard video? wouldnt that make the t tracks unusable? not sure what to do, what are your thoughts?

I have the same problem with my x-50. And it will be interesting to see what anyone has to say! After flattening the spoil board there is about 8" on the back side that has not been surfaced and it is raised.

You can easily cut them shorter to only stay within the cutting area. The choice is yours.

Hey Steve,

as Dr-Al mentioned the other day, you can leave the non-milled surfaces and with their lips, you get stops for free that are perfectly parallel to the machine axes.

3 Likes

I have the QCW secure from below, and this is what I do….

Since resurfacing the entire waste area doesn’t work, you can just live with the outer edges being a bit higher since you can’t cut past that point anyway… but I generally need that area flat…. so

1. If the waste board sections aren’t too bad, I’ll just take them out and flip them over

2. If they are chewed up, I’ll take them out and run them through the thickness planner or just replace them

3. Lately, I’ve been using a cheap coffee grinder to fine-grind saw dust and mix with wood glue. I fill in the holes and set the surface bit to zero… then a light orbital sanding, and I’m back at it.

Hope you can find something that works for you!

2 Likes

Hey Steve,

you could do a few strokes with a jointer plane and the excess material is gone :slight_smile:

1 Like

I flattened the front and then spun the boards around and flattened the new front again. No perceptible difference between the 2nd flattened surface and the remnants in the back 8" of the first run. Even if it were a hair off due to differences in tightening the screws down, I’m not milling race car parts, it’s wood after all. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m likely to trim them shorter when I need to replace them.

2 Likes

I am sinking a panel as well. I use a riser if the piece is longer than 32ish".