X-Axis will not home and makes whirring and grinding noise

Check the set screw like jake suggested.

I will tomorrow AM. That still does not explain why x axis jogs the opposite way sometimes (when it does engage). I appreciate all the input.

The other option I can think of right now is update to 1.0.4 first. and reset in general, select your machine, and reboot.

1 Like

Could this be a result of a single loose wire in the connector? I know the cimp pins on those amphenol connectors can be a little finicky. I could imagine that if one wire was making intermittent connection to just one of the two coils in the stepper motor, the motor direction could become unpredictable.

1 Like

I have a feeling this is what’s going on as well. You could also unplug the y cables and the x and plug the y cable into the x motor and see if it will drive it to test that theory out.

2 Likes

Thank you all for all the help. It looks like the wire is the problem. I switches the z and x and now the z is doing the same.

I do not think the connectors are loose, it almost seems the wire is reversed on one end somewhere… The z slider goes in reverse or just stalls and whirs

if you can send an email to support@onefinitycnc.com and included a video we’ll get you fixed up asap!

Done. Thank you very much!

:+1:. We got you bud! No worries

4 Likes

When I got my machine the Z-axis was having a similar problem. There was a blue wire that was making an intermittent connection at the plug. I stripped the wire back and rigged up a temporary connection and let support know. They fixed me up by supplying a replacement cable. That did the trick.

1 Like

Interesting. I have the same exact issue. THe blue wire is loose. I am waiting for onefinity to respond how to get the metal connector out of the plastic enclosure so i can recrimp the wire.

I got it working. Figured out how to get the metal connector out and re crimp. All good. THANK YOU ALL for helping out!!

1 Like

Man thats awesome! Glad you got it figured out. Maybe we need to start a troubleshooting thread listing issues we have encountered and the fixes.

2 Likes

Was the wire crimped loosely, or was the crimped wire loose in the plastic plug housing? Awesome you got it going!

1 Like

I think it was crimped loosely and not stripped enough.

That’s great to hear! Glad you got it working. If you need a replacement cable, just let us know.

Mine just started to make the grinding noise when homing, on the X axis only. Didn’t do it before. But it is homing and does seem to move as expected.

I think that has more to do with stall homing tuning… Try to clear out the dust/debris from the area where the axis’ meet/stall.

I had homing issues as well, right out of the box. 1F’s video helped me tune my X/Y axes so it homes perfectly, every time:

3 Likes