Z axis error greater than soft limit

First day trying to operate my Onefinity Journeyman. I’m just trying to surface the spoil board. I’ve created the g-code file with Carveco Maker according to a video I watched. Now I’m trying to run it but get the following message;
ERROR: Z axis position 25.4mm is greater than maximum soft limits 0mm

The Z gantry is in the lowest position. I am using a 1” flattening bit. What have I done wrong and how can I fix it?

1 Like

Your Z-zero in Carvco is likely different to Z-zero you set on the 1F.

Have a look at this it will help you.
https://forum.onefinitycnc.com/t/help-my-toolpath-says-under-or-over-with-videos/1982

1 Like

Raise your z-gantry up or try pushing your bit 25.4mm further into the chuck, if you can.

1 Like

Hi Craig.

The shank on the bit is short enough that it will go all the way into the chuck. Is that safe?

I can try raising the z-gantry up to the middle holes but I don’t know if the bit will reach the surface.

FYI: As far as I can tell it’s all about the bit. I’m using Carveco Maker and selecting 2703 Surface-Planing 1" Diameter. In the Tool Path Summery I get “Tool: [1] ERROR”. But if I switch to a .25 endmill I get a more favorable message “Tool: [1] 0.250 inches dia. slot drill”. This leads me to believe that the machine doesn’t like the size of the tool/the outer limits of the tool path/size of my spoil board cutting area/or possibly something else. I tried offsetting at .25" steps inward of the outer tool path but that didn’t change anything.

Also, I’ve got an Align Carbide 1” spoil board surfacing bit that I want to enter into the tools database. Align Carbide doesn’t give any of the specs on their web site that I need to create the new tool. I’ve written to them but no reply so far. That’s why I’m trying to set this project up with the 2703 Surface-Planing 1" Diameter tool that is preloaded in Carveco Maker.

Hi Andy – that sounds like a likely issue…unfortunately I have no idea how to find or solve that. I can re-zero the Z again and again but nothing changes.

User error is my middle name, but there is usually a simple solution for it. I’ve found that if I change the bit in Carveco to a .25 endmill the error goes away in the Toolpath Summary. Obviously I don’t want to surface my spoil board with a .25” endmill bit so I’ve got to figure out how to fix the error in CM first, then try it again on the 1F.

Hi Yvon,

Yes, lots of good info on the 1F in that link but I think the problem I’m having is with Carveco Maker and the g-code file I’m creating.

When I look at the Toolpath Summary, it shows an ERROR for Tool (1) when I set the file up with a 1” surface planning bit. If I switch it to a .25” endmill bit the error goes away. Obviously I don’t want to surface my spoilboard with a .25” bit so I’m at a loss for how to solve this.

Thanks for the link. I’ll read through it again to see if there’s anything I’ve missed.

Cheers!

I remember the first time I was trying to surface my spoilboard with a 1 inch surfacing bit it wast’n able to reach the board I got that error me to , so I switch to a 3/4 inch strait bit , and all was good.