Z axis never touches stock

I have created my GCode via Fusion 360 and have homed/zeroed my CNC correctly, but every time I run the program, the bit stays about a quarter inch above the stock. I’m sure I’ve done something wrong in Fusion, but I don’t know where else to ask.

How do I get the bit to come down and actually cut the wood?

I would upload the NC file, but I’m still a new user :frowning:

Some Things to check in f360

• stock settings in setup; are they the same as the physical stock with respect to z height?
  • top of stock setting in the tool path. Is it where you want it, top of stock for example or higher
  • where have you zero’d your stock on cnc vs the stock position in f360; e.g. zero on spoilbiard vs stock top?
  • did you reset z in the cnc after a tool change?
  • Yes, the stock is just a 1/2 piece of plywood.
  • I believe so. See attached image.
  • I zero’d to the lower left corner of the stock.
  • Yes, reset z

Dan, I am having a similar issue, although I don’t use F360; but would like to know why the router bit doesn’t make contact with the stock.

Slightly off topic, maybe upload your gcode into a simulator to get a visual; this is what I use g-code simulator

And in the setup? See yellow highlights…

And what does f360s simulation show?

Simulation shows exactly what I want it to cut…

Here’s what my setup stock shows

Spooky. But difiicult to resolve remotely.

An issue i had once was selecting sketch lines rather than model lines but if your f360 silmulation is as you expect it then the z height home in the cnc might be incorrect.

You have the same software as everyone else f360 and controller. So must setup; i guess.

Im ruuning out if ideas; f360 perfect simulation, controller perfectly probed to the correct z position; top of stock?. Z must be wired correctly else it wouldnt probe…

Hi Dan,

Not sure if this will be helpful or not, but I think I may have seen in another one of your posts that your CNC was acting pretty erratic in the Z axis. I was having a similar issue and it turned out to be a connection issue. The support team at Onefinity helped figure it out (they’re great!). The way I confirmed the problem was to use the joystick to jog the router up and down and, at the same time, jiggle the Z connection on the X rail … shown here:

Hope that image came thru.

If the router starts acting erratic, you’ve got a connection issue with that plug. Check the pins - one could be pushed in.

Hope that helps.

Hi Dan - where is your origin for the setup? Also, are you sure the machine is zeroed properly?

-Tom