10.8" Monitor Stand

Thought I’d share a very nice monitor stand that works very well with the new larger monitor.
Made by KABCON and found on Amazon.
It works especially well with the USB hub I purchase too.

5 Likes

That looks like a nice setup Phil. It also looks like your table rotates away for storage. If so, what type of bearing or pivot support did you use on it?

Hi Bill, It does! It’s only about 26" wide, with a 4’ x 5’ wide table top. I used a set of flange bearings from Amazon, which were only about $16 for the pair. ( PGN - UCF205-16 Pillow Block Square Flange Mounted Bearing 1" Bore (2 PCS)) I have a 1" pipe which the the wires from the table top run thru.
I was trying to keep the cost down as much as possible, so instead of mounting them to plywood, I used 3/16" Tempered Hardboard.

This is a pic from the side where the tool box sits and you can see the the inside of how the flange is mounted and the other side and how it’s mounted. I built the base with 4" x 4" posts and used a side tool box from Harbor Freight (about $200) for the side box, which is working out very well for storage.

2 Likes

I’m really liking that Phil. Seems much simpler then the others I have looked at and much more affordable too but with the same results (stowing away the 1f)
If you have a chance to take a few more pictures I’m sure there would be a few of us pretty interested in seeing a bit more detail. Thanks for some great ideas…Bill

1 Like

Bill, Glad you like it. I built my 1F table based on the design of the Fisher’s Shop Mobile Assembly Table, which has the 1F on one side and a flat working surface on the other. I try to build things “Tight and Right”, tight on budget, but right the first time. I’m fortunate that many of the hardware components were items I’ve collected over the years. The base is 4" x 4" with 1/2" plywood. The side supports are 2" x 4" cut down to 3" wide with the tempered hardboard on each side. I’ve included a few more pics for some of the details.

I don’t have any pics of the table being made, but it’s 3/4" plywood for the 1F side and 1/2" for the work surface side, with 2 3/4" support beams in the middle, making the full table thickness 4". The table legs are made from 80/20 30mm extruded aluminum with adjusters on each leg. Even with savings on some of the hardware, I’ve got about $500 in the build, but I’ve very pleased with it’s functionality.

2 Likes

Here’s a pic of the completed unit, less the legs, folded up and before receiving my 1F.

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful. Huge fan of Fisher’s stuff, too. Really well done!

Looks like I’m planning on what you have shown us here. Thank you again for breaking it all down Phil.

The table looks very nice, tight and right as you said. I wonder if you considered offsetting the pivot from the center of the cart to account for the height and weight of the OF when stowed?

I actually saw a welding table at HF yesterday that it metal with a built in tilt and lock that looked pretty cool for a OF mount but I think the weight of the OF and its height will overbalance the table without a counter weight.

I did consider the possibility of offsetting the CG to make it easier to rotate, but with the bearings, it’s not all that bad. I actually still need to install the table top on the underside of the 1F table top, so this should help some too. I had originally thought about being able to use the 1F to offset the weight, but as I was afraid, when the 1F is powered off the stepper motor brakes are released, so the Y-axis drops down to the bottom. As it is, I’m able to easily grab the “Stiffy” bar to take a little pressure off of the holding pin, pull the pin, pull the table out a little, then let the table rest on the pin. I can then get in front of the table, grab the “Stiffy” bar to pull up a little, grab the underside of the table pulling it high enough to drop one leg and then it rests fine on that leg while I put the other 3 down.

@Woodphiler
Hey Phil!

I’m exploring options for replacing the included bracket from Onefinity for my 10" monitor.

Does your 10" monitor have the built in bracket receiver piece similar to mine?

If so does it interfere with the KABCON stand?

Thanks
-Chris

Hi Chris,

Here’s a pic of the backside of my monitor. I have it held in place with double sided foam tape.
The stand has a round hole in the middle, but it isn’t big enough for the monitor bracket.
As you can see, I had to take a Dremel to cut a little of the material out for the monitor to fit.
My monitor didn’t have the 2 square tie wrap mounts on either side of the stand, which yours has.
If they can be easily removed, you should have no problem mounting the monitor like I did.

Hope this helps.

Phil

1 Like

Phil

Nice setup. What kind off monitor are you using.
Thanks
Paul

Thanks Phil,

The 2 square tie wrap mounts were my doing, just to keep the monitor secured better to the bracket. Thanks for showing a picture of the back of the stand.

-Chris

1 Like

Hi Paul,

I’m using the larger/optional Onefinity monitor with the KABCON monitor stand.
I had to notch the stand to allow the magnetic port on the back of the monitor to fit, but after nothing it out, I used some double sided foam tape to mount the monitor to the stand.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Phil

The flanged bearings are mounted only to the 3/16" hardboard?

I don’t think you mentioned anywhere but with a 4’x5’ table surface I am guessing this is for a Woodworker size machine. Is that correct?

Hi Phil.

Nice stand. I didn’t know the larger monitor was available yet. I ordered my cnc but didn’t get the small monitor.
Thanks for the information
Much appreciated
Paul

Hi Bob,

Yes, on both questions.
Here are a couple of pics of how the bearings are mounted. The weight is mostly downward force, so being only 3/16" think isn’t a problem, especially with the board supporting it under the bearing. I also glued the hardboard to the bearing mounted side of the frame, but left the outside panels removable for access to the bearings if necessary. (I ripped 2x4 boards to 2x3 to build the side frames)

Hope this helps.

Phil

1 Like

How are you securing the pipe so it will not slide out of the bearing?

The bearing assembly has set screws that tighten down on the pipe.
Purchased from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QLBYT1Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like