10.8 Display: Remove the mag stand mount?

How can I remove the magnetic kickstand mount from the back of my 10.8" display?

2 Likes

OF support let me know that the mag is glued on with epoxy. After a closer look I noticed a touch of space at a corner…

4 Likes

Thank you, the kind of tip I’ve been looking for. Now where did I put that putty knife… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Watkins Thanks, your insights were very helpful to me this morning. I removed the magnet to install this mount. I am doing a trial on location before I screw it to my table.

1 Like

I have the same mount and did the same thing you’re doing. I ended up moving it from where I originally put it.

I didn’t remove the magnet on the back of the monitor though, the mount seems to be able to hold it securely with the magnet block in the monitor.

@JimHatch Jim, we must have a different mount. Mine would not work without removing the magnet. Here’s what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KB19JCW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Here’s a profile shot of the back -

@Alphonse Hey Alan, glad it was helpful. Looks like a nice table you have there.

@Watkins Thanks again and thanks for the compliment on the table.

The table is a composite table built with an aluminum honeycomb panel sandwiched between sheets of RDO plywood. When I get time I will post up some details of how it was built at a local architectural millworks. It is unbelievable stiff and better yet, square/uniform in all dimensions.

1 Like

I look forward to that. I had been looking at honeycomb panels as an option for the core of a table, but had a hard time finding someone who would sell direct. Do you happen to know what thickness the core is, and which manufacturer’s panel the millwork uses?

Give me a couple of days and I will put the fabrication details and contact info up in a separate post. I have photos of the fabrication process and contact info. The millworks had the aluminum honeycomb in stock and are able to procure the honeycomb since they have a partnering relationship with the manufacturer. The panels are typically used in maritime and military applications for bulkheads and the like.

BTW, the panel is a nominal 1 5/8" thick.

1 Like

Nope, same one.

You can see it’s held in the lips of the bracket on the front.

I Iike it because I can rotate it when I’m ready to tilt the table for storage. Then when I flip the table I turn the monitor so it’s perpendicular to the front. That way I’m not pulling cables out all the time when I store the machine against the wall.

1 Like

How much deflection in the back of the monitor do you have to accommodate that magnet/bump. I couldn’t tell by the photos.

I gave it a try but decided to simply pop the magnet off like @Watkins did. Mine would have been quite stressed if I had left the magnet in place. I was fearful that the pushed in back would infringe on the screen and/or circuit board. It also deflected the arms quite a lot.

Thanks for this. Glad I did a search to verify this was possible.

I am getting ready to do a mountectomy right now. :slight_smile:

No way I am risking the health of my monitor; which wasn’t supposed to show up until sometime in January according to an email I received; on this weak mag-mount. So glad I bought a second display to tide me over that I now don’t need.

Here is the mount I am using. Working just fine so far. I found it on Amazon about a year ago and was using it with a tablet which has since died so it was in need of a purpose to live.

Below the display is an ancient PC keyboard drawer with integrated power. Has a built-in surge protector and rated at 15A. There are 6 outlets on the back that you plug in your PC, monitor, printer, and three other devices into and can control from those switches you see across the front plus the one, master power switch on the far right. It’s been sitting in my basement collecting dust and I was about to haul it to the dump 'cause I didn’t have a use for it. Then I thought let me see if it will work for the CNC. I power the display and the controller through here but it could probably handle the router too. The KB drawer I’m just using for storage of bits and the collet wrench.

2 Likes

Save Your Magnet!
After installing a new stand mount, I discovered a new use for the magnet and the remains of the broken plastic mount. Using double sided tape, I put the magnet on the back of the wireless joystick. See photos.
Pros…I’m not always hunting for it, and it easily detaches to be hand held.

7 Likes

Good idea, I like that.