Allowance For Vertical Milling

It will be several weeks before my OF/W arrives and it might be a mistake to build my support table until I have it in hand, but I can’t resist at least playing with designs. I think I’ll want the ability to do some vertical milling - dovetailing board ends for example - and so I envision a shallow “U” shaped working surface where I can clamp a board on end to the front of the table. Using the very front face of the Y axis rails as a reference line, how far back from that line is the collet centerline when X axis is all the way forward? Thanks in advance to anyone who happens to know…

1 Like

If I remember correctly, someone had started on this type of table before but I haven’t seen any progress pics on it for a while. Maybe do a search on some key words on here, you might find the thread it was discussed in. Let us know how this works out if you go in this direction.

1 Like

I plan to have the ability to do vertical milling, as you mentioned. I don’t get mine until end of March…so will keep you posted.I have to built a table from scratch. I will do some reinforcement but mainly watching youtube videos from others that have modified their machines (not OneFinity).

John,

Someone posted that when the X-axis gantry is all the way to the front, the centerline of the spindle/router was 1.5" behind (inboard of) the feet on the Y-axis. I don’t have my machine yet, so I can not verify.

I am also working on a table design that will allow vertical workpieces. I designed a C-shape cutout on the front of the table that is about 4" back from the front of the 1F feet. This will allow a 2" thick workpiece to be clamped to the front and allow the spindle to mill both sides. I also plan to have T-track on the front to provide clamping.

It is still a concept, but that are my current thoughts.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Corey. Your table top design is similar to what I am thinking about, although I will be adding sides and top for a total enclosure. I know I’ll need to wait until machine arrives to finalize because I also will install vacuum boom and need to assess how tall my sides will need to be.

Wanted to offer another option. In planning for vertical milling I simply made the table top and spoil board in two parts (front and back halves) and have a stretcher running across the table to secure the vertical work piece. This gives me the flexibility to be able to vertically mill larger pieces e.g. sides of a box, small table etc. I am not done with this part of my table and want to add an additional stretcher with a dovetail slot to be able to slide my microjig dovetail clamps and also add some sort of jig for ensuring the piece is held square. As you ca see in the pic below my current method is less than precise and the wood being held by the clamps has some give so I’d like to make everything more secure. Anyway hope this at least gives you options. Best of luck.
This is my table assembled

And these are with the front half removed

2 Likes

Hi Iask if you used the system with the 20mm holes with standard distance at 96mm for the work table.
Thank you Michele

Looks good…I want to try something similar once I get my machine

Hi Michele,

Yes, I designed my spoil board off the MFT so the holes are 20mm and spaced 96mm apart. Was easy to design in Vcarve Pro and works great for registering material and keeping things square to rails since it was machined using the cnc.

Hi,

I’m currently building my table, and have taken a similar approach. Rather than splitting it in the middle, I’m splitting it about 1 foot in. Trying to learn Fusion 360 - here’s a drawing of where I’m at so far:

I’ve seen designs that have a hinge, where the table folds down - but that seems mechanically more complicated, and securing the table in the “up” position seems to involve compromises in stability. I’m planning on splitting a portion of the table (a “C” cut-out) at the double stretchers - but I’m leaving the front stretcher intact. So, I always have a permanent and stable base to put the “cutout” back.

My top is going to be a double-layer of 3/4 MDF, so it will be able to span the 1-foot gap just fine.

I have the frame put together, working on the MDF and the cut-outs next, I’ll come back and post pictures when it’s done!

Mike.

1 Like

Mike,

That’s exactly what my frame looks like. I didn’t actually cut it right in half. It looks more like yours but I did more than a foot, probably closer to 28". It’s easy to convert from the full table to vertical billing and the build was so much easier than trying to get fancy with hinges etc.

Just a thought,
Could two pieces of extruded aluminum be mounted on each side. When vertical milling is desired, slide the whole cnc forward to clear the front edge.
Would the cnc be sturdy enough if extruded aluminum was sticking out say 11" ?

Not necessarily this aluminum,

2 Likes

Surprised no comments on this idea.
If it wouldn’t work I would like to know.

There’s a lot of variables to consider here when talking about mounting t-slotted aluminum (namely aluminum dimensions, mounting methods, and what you are mounting to). But if you want a simplified answer, here is chart to help get you started. This was found in the t-slots catalog. They have other extrusion types with similar charts for your convenience. I also started a conversation here on extruded aluminum if you want to learn more about joining methods.

1 Like

Also, I have another question for this forum posting. If the idea of vertical milling is to be able to create dovetails why not use Mickey Mouse corners. There is a really good YouTube video that shows how to make these really low profile so they are barely noticeable.

I’ve used this in a few of my designs as seen below.

John or Corey,

Did either of you ever get around to creating a table capable of vertical milling. I had envisioned something very similar to the table Corey has designed (though not flip up). I’d be interested in seeing pictures and hearing your perspective if you’ve actually gone this route. I’m still on the fence trying to decide if Onefinity is the way to go. Thanks.

I know this is a bit late, but here’s a design currently in the build process that provides for a vertical fence and sliding wall mount:

2 Likes

Hi, Mike. I don’t have a machine yet but am designing my table to allow for vertical milling; it’s very similar to your picture, except for one thing. You say that you want to leave the front stretcher intact to provide a stable base for when you put the cutout back; I understand that but won’t that obstruct access for mounting the workpieces to be milled vertically? I presume you’ve finished your table. Is that what you ended up doing?

I decided to push the vertical fence in about 3". Yes, it does reduce the cutting area, and at this time I’m OK with that.

I have all components now and an in partial assembly mode, but I need to move some in-process furniture pieces before I’ll have access to the wall that it will mount against.

Take a look at the pictures from this post: Box Joints and Dovetails - #33 by MikeH

The stretcher does “obstruct” the opening a little. I placed a hinged fixture above it for a couple of reasons:

1. I can square it up to the X-axis (2 reference boards make it easy to line up again).

2. The Z-axis can be squared up as well - I adjust at the bottom as necessary.

Overall, I’m happy with how it’s working. I’ve had to adjust my CAM approach a little, I’ve had more success not relying on measuring the width of my board perfectly - my tablesaw isn’t as precise as my CNC, and flipping a board around doubles up on any very small error. So, I make sure to always “start at the bottom” of a box for a cut, instead of some cuts starting at the other side.