Anyone using joint cam software?

Hi Folks-

I’m looking at joint cam and wondered if anyone has tried it? I have some thoughts on table modification to accommodate vertical placement and would like to add to the versatility of this machine. I realize that vcarve pro has a gadget, but I just can’t live with the filets.
If there are any users, I’m curious about which g-code file extension you may be using and/or if any incompatibility issues with the 1F controller.

Thanks!

1 Like

I can’t help but I am interested in jointing. Difficult to find a mortise/tenon . I may have to try my own in F360

It appears joint cam has mortise and tenon option as well. At least that’s noted in the description…”dovetails, box joints and mortise and tenon”.

Andy, I got the joint cam software and really like it. I was a bit confused initially as I set mine up in a cut-out parallel to the y axis. In retrospect, I would have preferred bringing it over the front edge of the bed for the tail cuts. If you should get it I have the setup.ini for the software config. tool changes. It’s very good software in my opinion and especially useful to cut both pins and tails in one run as well as multiples individually. Pretty wild cutting half-blinds in 3/16" thick stock and mating perfectly.

Hi,

I will give it a go after the summer break. I’ll ping you for the ini file once I’m set up. Thank you for the offer.

Front Edge tail cuts sound sensible.

Would you mind posting a picture of your setup for inspiration?

Have you tried mortise and tenon yet?

Hi Andy,

This is my setup, pretty much a copy from Jeff at “Against The Grain”, with the exception of an additional clamp on tracks for wider boards. I will probably kant the rails over the front edge of the bed for a better setup and ability to cut both pieces at one pass. I tried posting more pics, but too large for the server.

2 Likes

Andy-

Took the better part of 95 seconds for both cuts.

2 Likes

Looks great and using a Makita. I can understand why you went y-axis

Hello Joe,
I have the software and am making very simalar jig cutting out front of table x axis, any and all help you offer, will I be able to zero front left corner using our touch plate, or does it have to be right side back? ty

Hi, I’m setup with a cutout in my bed that runs on the right side parallel to the Y axis. Not sure what you are using for software, but if you bring up your code you can see where the tool path will run and that will indicate your start. On my setup I run off front left corner for pins and rear left for tails. I believe running in your setup, you can cut both tails and pins in one operation, one piece off front of table and the other directly in front of it on the bed. It’s xmas eve and I have a few in me, so I’ll revisit after the holidays and we can get it together.

Hey Joe thanks for quick respond I’ll be using Jointcam

Morning Greg,

This video can explain it much better than I can here, take a look about 23 minutes in: https://youtu.be/eUqIqLBEUx8

A couple things to keep in mind- if you want to eliminate trial and error it’s good practice to measure the actual dimensions of the bits you will be using. It doesn’t take much to affect the end game of a tight attractive joint when the bits are incorrectly sized. Another thing is the clearance allowance. I generally start at about 0.02" and make a quick test joint on a scrap piece. I’m always amazed at how different species of wood react to compression after being cut, so clearance is a consideration. I hope to change up my table to run left and right vertical fences along front of the X. Is seems the most convenient way. Lastly, search this forum for “box joints and dovetails”. Some good info there.

Joe

1 Like

Joe and other JointCam users. Purchased the recent ver of JC 1.0.0.21. Also, have a brand-new computer running Windows 11 home. My dovetails are exaggerated and the router does a lot of air time thinking a 5 inch board is 9. I think Gerry at JC is looking at it.

Just curious which g code extension is working for you?

mo nice cutout
Can I ask how you insured the vertical was 90° to the table top

I had a bash, and in hindsight, I might make my own extruded aluminium table but doing it in wood let me understand the challenges.

I used a long 1/2 inch end mill to route down and across the table thickness and a 4-inch piece of timber supporting the table (torsion table). The bit didn’t quite reach all the way, so I finished with a handheld router with a trimming bit from below. This gave me about 5 inches of surface parallel to the x-axis (my main concern) and a vertical surface to mount a board.

I then placed a board (with FMT like holes to hold jigs and dogs e.g. vertical fence) with adjustable feet that rested on the floor. I adjusted the feet to get parallel left-right so that the dog holes were vertical vs the table top.

I added two threaded rods at the base of the vertical table connected to a piece of wood between the legs that allowed me to adjust for the vertical back-front.

Then loads of fiddling with squares and spirit levels.

Not pretty. Probably not efficient. My middle name could be Heath but my surname isn’t Robinson.

Disregard my last note, jointcam is working and support was great. My machine x axis is the problem…it nearly doubles the distance…will have to contact 1F, hope it is not a mechanical issue!

Ty the challenges with wood to where you want aluminum extrusions is it more than attachments

Have you checked your travel per rev settings on the the x-axis? The X-50 has a different setting than the X-35 did. The setting should come fixed now but some of the earlier models came with the settings for the x-35.

And I use .ngc for the Gcode. Since it isn’t an option in JointCam, you can just type in the drop down box and then it will be there.

Thanks, that was exactly what was wrong!
Will use your JC tip.

Hi Paul, Just caught your note. Due to space, I needed a table that would fold. Also, it was important to me to be able to cut dovetails, tenons, and mortise. Thus a vertical pit with clamps. Had some salvaged one inch oak boards…seems to be working well, and is very stable. Will try to send some photos early stages of construction to now. Thanks