Controller Firmware Updates

I have some questions about the Buildbotics Controller Firmware/Software updates. According to the user manual on the Buildbotics website, the controller will display the current version and recommend and update if a new version is available if it has an internet connection.

What is the procedure for installing updates for the controller?

Will Onefinity be testing/configuring firmware updates for use on the Woodworker/Machinist and then making the updates available to customers through onefinitycnc.com?

Or, will we get updates directly from Buildbotics?

If the updates come from Buildbotics, are there any risks updating in regards to custom setting specific to the Onefinity CNC machines?

–Thanks

You will get your updates via Onefinity, NOT Buildbotics. Do NOT install firmware from buildbotics on our controller.
Currently, there are no updates. Once an update is released, we will share that and it’s updating procedures here.

5 Likes

Awesome!

Just a recomendation, but I think this information would be a great addition as a section in the Owners Manual.

Thanks for the info.

4 Likes

We’ll make a note of it!

@OnefinityCNC - so Buildbotics is open source; since we will be getting updates from you directly, will you be providing the source code as well?

-Tom

It’s already on github

Excellent!

-Tom

Do we need to join github for controller updates or will they be on this location?

You will not. We will post a how to and create a video when there is one to update to

2 Likes

Awesome look forward to getting my machine

1 Like

Given the relative complexity of the controller’s architecture, I’m curious if the RPI software will be updated independently of the AVR SW? I would think UI changes and features would come much more frequently than changes in the actual control SW? I’m also thinking some sort of plug-in architecture would be wonderful (if it’s not already there).

Anyway, the OF code baseline doesn’t appear to be a fork of the Buildbotics baseline. In fact, it doesn’t look like the Git repo is being used for active development in any way. Just curious if will there be divergent baselines? Or is there a private dev stream that will be synchronized? Just curious.

-Tom

If there are no updates then why is my machine saying update

Because this is two years later and there’s been an update (or more) since?

3 Likes

If the update isn’t downloading over WiFi, go here check to make sure the latest firmware release is in fact an update, then follow the instructions to download it to USB and install on the controller that way.

It’s really simple. My WiFi is no good in the shop so that’s how I’ve done it each time there has been an update.

1 Like

My controller is asking for a password,
and I don’t remember using one, will not allow me to do anything!

the password will be either buildbotics or onefinity. I believe that it’s covered in the instructions on the firmware page?

3 Likes

found it thanks I guess just need to spend more time reading

2 Likes

Looking thru the repo it looks like they took BuildBotics source code from the May 27, 2020 commit and began making changes for OneFinity. I find it odd they they did not fork from that branch. They must be tracking BuildBotics internally which would make folding changes difficult IMHO.

Also, it looks like this source must be built on Windoze as it puked on a windows dependency on my Mac.

Will try building later on a Doze box.