Dust curtains? For Elite series?

After get my Woodworker Elite up and running spoil board complete I noticed that a lot of dust on the ball screw and nuts. I had seen where some people were trying to come up with a ‘dust curtain.’ When reading through the threads it was unclear if anyone has come up with a solution. With the homing switch’s at the front I’m not sure how to setup any clips or Velcro without running into issues OR causing them lol. Any suggestions? Thank you!

1 Like

Pretty easy, just take any thin stretchy cloth, cut it to size and fix it in place, I used the two unused 5mm screw holes at the ends of the Y rail supports put the cap screws with washers through the cloth, which holds the top in place, pull it snug but leave some stretch in it, for the second bolt, on the end then just tack the lower edge in a couple of spots so it doesnt ride up.
Finding the cloth was the hardest part. got mine out of the rag bag.

Hey Kevin, hey Tony, hey all,

ideally, the Dust boot and the Dust collection system should be able to suck up all the dust at the point where it is generated.

2 Likes

Thank you Tony. Do you happen to have a picture of it? Thank you!

Thank you Aiph5u I do think bellows maybe a bit over kill for my needs. Just trying to keep as much chips and dust off as I can. My dust collection is doing adequate for right now. Thank you for your time!

@KevTN
Will send you some pics tomorrow if I can remember how.
Be forewarned my “skirts” cloth is pretty but my work is not photogenic.

2 Likes

Hi @KevTN-
I got a clear shower curtain, cut it to length and width to cover Y rails. Hot glued Velcro strips to the rail feet and matching strip to curtain ends. Works well and doesn’t look as bad as i imagined it would :wink:

2 Likes

@KevTN
Here are these works of art, not elegant but keeps the rails quite clean, and most importantly keeps the lead screws clean. The cloth is so thin that it does not interfere with homing, and you need to leave enough slack that you can get your hand between the cloth and the rails.
A thing I do with lead screws, taken out of the motor cycle and ebike book is to rub parafinwax, AKA candlewax along the lead screws, and only oil the leadscrew nuts through the oil ports, the lead screws are still shiny after more than a year, and the wax lubricates but does not collect dust. I do oil the tubes with 3in 1 oil, & as you can see the upper ones do collect a little sludge but only need cleaning once every week or so.

1 Like

@KevTN
Can only put 1 pic in a post so here is the other side

I got these clips from Amazon and used some plastic sheathing I had laying around. I used to use vinyl flooring on my original Journeyman, but it doesn’t fit on the Elite.

2 Likes

Thank you Tony. Good information as well. I appreciate the time and information!!

Those clips looks like it can use both plastic and cloth. Good idea Thank you for sharing!

@KenA You have an interesting array of dog holes, What is the thinking behind them being offset?
Have not put any in this iteration of spoil board but might if I think they would be useful.

I reused the table from my original journeyman so had to make new dog holes. I was testing different materials so have holes all over. I tested Delrin, premade plastic and PVC and decided on 1/2” pvc. I wanted to get that settled and use my new elite to build the draws under my Kreg table before setting up my new spoil board. So far so good.

I like to make resin art and use the dogs in the lower left corner for alignment. I don’t pour on my table so this lets me cut, move to another place, pour, come back and be confident my workpiece is in the same exact place.
MaxBillLarge

3 Likes

@KenA Interesting.
On my last spoilboard was using 3/4" white pex with the black liner, never gave me any problems and you can cut it with the pex cutter just like scissors.
May put in dog holes if I do I will keep using the pex.It has just a slight give to it which made me feel like I was getting good grip against the dogs.

I just ordered these: Chip Barriers - Onefinity
They arrived within a few days, and are decent quality. I don’t get my ATC spindle until April, so I haven’t installed them yet.
Good luck!

Cool deal I appreciate you sharing it. Those look good. Thank you

1 Like