Hey @Mitch, hey Derek @WaywardWoodworker, hey Darren @CSM, hey all,

(slightly OT :slight_smile:) sometimes I hear people say, so what,

FB is free to join for all.

sure. It is free for all

• to _join_.
    • by anyone
      • who enters
        • into a legally binding contract
          • that is described in the General Terms and Conditions.

It’s just that, what matters, is not this “freedom”. Of course you are free to enter into contracts and get services in return for what the contract obliges you to. What matters here in my opinion is that there exists a technology that we all are free to use. The ability to use a technology for which you have no contract to enter into, no consideration to pay, no obligation to make, no royalties to pay, no terms and conditions to agree in order to be able to join. Nothing, just free to use. Not “free” as in free beer, but free as in free speech.

I always wonder why when people want to show a picture or a video to the world, or a meaning, an opinion, or a page, why do they think they need a social media like yout*be, inst*gram, f*cebook, etc., or a cloud-storage service like on*drive, go*gledrive, am*zon drive. As far as I know, still today everyone who has internet access from an ISP, e.g. in form of a DSL, also has own web space, which means a little space that is 1:1 directly a part of the World Wide Web and where they are free to show whatever they like to the world. And it’s not that you forcibly need to know how to use a FTP client. Usually ISPs offer an upload function in their online control center page.

2 Likes

@anon93936469 as to if a forum is social media is possibly a whole separate debate I am not aware that of any organisations that class forums generally as social media.
Your suggestion on creating a FB profile with a made up name is naïve and verging on laughable how do you think an organisation that I work for who in my conditions of employment prohibit the use of social media would react if they discovered I had such a profile? my guess is that I would very quickly become an ex employee. always remember logout and delete still leaves a footprint!!!

@WaywardWoodworker my situation is the similar to yourself (yet!!!)
I do have to declare any forums I am active on which causes me no issues and I am unsure if any checks are made on the various forums.

My original point still stands why do people feel the need to create FB groups that other machine owners who may have things to contribute and may benefit from other peoples thoughts and experiences are not able to join.
Information could be gleaned on this forum with regards to a topic with discussions input and maybe solutions taking place on a FB group that can not be accessed by people who may have contributed to the issue in question and gone someway to help solve it. That makes for a great open sharing maker community!

I am sure if the FB groups were to become no more then this forum would grown and may change shape slightly. Onefinity support the forum even supplying the platform a platform where you don’t get bombarded with ad’s and product recommendations.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’m order 34294 (Elite Journeyman) and haven’t heard a word…

I find local Facebook groups pretty handy . you can actually see hands on things and meet other users. In real life. I still check this forum and read as much as i can even for things I have no intention of doing just to learn different things . You never know what nugget you will pick up perusing the deep recesses of this forum. It is always worthwhile.

Who mentioned using company equipment? I didn’t. You say you don’t care about about how i feel about social media use the web or what my work is, well I am glad that you don’t but you have shown that you may not be aware of restrictions that employers can place on people. I disagree that the discussion is circling the drain there is an issue that not all owners have access to the FB groups and that is a fact and it would be better for all owners and prospective owners to have access to the whole maker community via this forum.

I find your comment regarding a chip on my shoulder a public insult thr fact that i have no social media presence does not cause me and concern. The fact that the FB groups require you to have FB membership is not open and in the spirt of sharing. I am a member of many online forums and enjoy the 2 way interaction and learning.

Out of interest is the FB group or groups endorsed and supported by Onefinity?

1 Like

Hey Robert,

(slightly OT, but only slightly, since it was the original poster that came up with f*cebook :slight_smile: )

of course you can use services like F*cebook if they are useful to you and you find the terms of use okay.

But you understand what Darren pointed out? Should you present your project or share your experience there, Darren and Mitch and I would never see it.

And “joining” f*cebook does not come into question for us and many other people, as I explained. E.g. I find the contractual arrangements that Mr. Z*ckerberg offers me in his GTC about my compensation for the permission to collect, store, analyze, resell and use my images and my texts and all of any data I produce and have ever produced and even the data people produce that are not me, but know me, and even the data people produce that aren’t even at facebook, and the data that are in my personal address book, and those on my personal computer, and those on my personal telephone, were absolutely unacceptable, so we did not come to an agreement.

2 Likes

as I said i Prefer the forum and will continue to use it and post everything on it. I have zero love for any of the big tech companies.

1 Like

Hey Robert,

I found it great you posted the project of your table. I think you make so nice things. Thank you!

I have a question for you about vcarve. i am making a fantasy hammer handle andi am going to put scroll work on the handle. how can i make the clipart follow the curve of the handle. thanks
I tried distort but that only seems to work for text.

Hey Robert,

maybe this way. See step 4

Robert,

Draw a line (straight or curved) down the handle and in row 3 in the right side see “text on a curve” and it will snap to your line. One the text is set, just delete the line.

Cheers,

Jim

1 Like

unfortunately it is not text It is clipart

Man I can’t wait for your videos!!!
I am a newbie!

I’ll join in getting my journey in two weeks. Just built my table. I’m going with vcarve. Wish you well

1 Like

Do they ship by the order number? man that sucks, my number is 34363 and have not heard anything yet. But I am excited for you. :slight_smile:

They do not ship by order number

Hey Jim, I am a fellow S. Floridian with a WoodWorker X35, what parts are you in down here?

Order 34540 here - nothing to report, yet.

1 Like

Hi Bern, I am also in S Florida. I am in Labelle. I am waiting on an Elite Journeyman.
Bill

1 Like

Hi Bern,

I’m in Stuart, how about you?

Cheers,

Jim