Endmill pulling out of router

I’m using a 7/32 upcut endmill cutting slots. I’m cutting .210 deep cuts at 80 ipm and 18000 rpm per amanas specs. twice now the bit is getting drawn down out of the collet. I have the collet tight. I’m thinking the doc is too deep. any other possible reasons. thanks

Makita collets are bad for collecting dust and losing grip. Make sure you take the collet off, tap it out and tap the router part to get rid of dust.

2 Likes

ok ill check it out it
hx

2 Likes

…and never use the red button and a single wrench, but always the two wrenches. As was already reported, the red button may fail and leave the router unusable.

unlike ER collets,

2 Likes

Confirming @Atroz reply and adding that I even experienced slippage without contaminates. One thing that works well for me is to position the wrenches in a way they are close together like pliers and give one good squeeze. This gives much more leverage than trying to use both hands (especially in a spread apart fashion), and also prevents undue torque on the router and Z-axis mount.

4 Likes

yep I use both wrenches when tightening. maybe i should look into an er collect? thanks for the info

Hey Butch,

there is no ER collet for the Makita hand trim router, you would need to either buy a spindle, or Onefinity would release a Z slider for what I call the Best milling motor solution for hobbyists and semiprofessionals, a slider e.g. like shown here so you could use the FM 1000 PV ER (with ER collet). It also has speed control interface.

1 Like

ok so no er collet. is there a collet I can buy that might be better than the makita one or are they all basically the same . I’ll clean out the inside and reduce the doc. I don’t mind if it takes a few extra cuts. thanks for your help

Is it possible that the 7/32 bit has a shaft of 7/32. The collet is 1/4. That would be 1/32 inch too small. Just my observation. Dave

1 Like

no it’s a 7/32 shaft but i will check to make sure it’s real close to .250

You might think you do, but you probably do not. Use two wrenches and squeeze them tightly together.

I just looked at the collet. Yep the was a fair amount of dust in the nut. will clean out everything and try again. thanks everyone

1 Like

That is too small for the collet to grip the end mill enough, get a 1/4" bit and the issue will go away

It is a 1/4 inch shank

Where can we get a good collet and collet cleaner?

Hey Dan,

I bought my ER-20 collets set together with the spindle at the spindle manufacturer’s shop. I could also have bought collets at this CNC components and kits supplier where I bought my VFD (they offer different brands). That’s also where I bought the cone wiper.

2 Likes