Festool dust extractor exhaust question

Question about Festool dust extractors. I saw in a video that they have an exhaust port. I want to connect a permanent hose from the Festool exhaust port and exhaust the air outside? Can someone familiar with Festool dust extractors confirm that this would work?

I’m currently using a small dust collector and super dust deputy. I have a hose going from the dust collector exhaust to outside my basement so that the exhausted air goes outside so that any particles that make it past collector go outside.

The dust collector is very loud however and I’m looking at other options. I want the exhaust to go outside. I saw in a video that Festool dust extractors have a exhaust port that you can connect a hose to so I’m thinking about getting a Festool extractor, a Dust Deputy and running a hose from the extractor to outside.

Can someone familiar with Festool confirm that this would work before I buy one? Thanks!

Hey _dan,

yes, this is true, at least on some models. I own a Festool CTM MIDI I and it has an “exhaust-air outlet” to which you can attach a Festool hose to exhaust the air outside the building. It is described in the manual.

Some people use this workshop vacuum cleaner for dust collection on their Onefinity, e.g. Lee Turnbull @TDE as can be seen here.

However I think I will rather use the Felder AF 22 for dust and chips extraction on a CNC.

It’s made in Austria and the motors are made in Italy. What I like is how easy it is to change the chip bags during operation, and the choice of different motors. Here you can see the bag change within 28 seconds: FELDER AF 22 DUST COLLECTOR – Youtube. Here another video:

See also

1 Like

You really wouldn’t need that with a Festool Midi. It’s got a HEPA filter rated for 99.7% of particles IIRC. If you get a Midi you can also get an aftermarket reusable bag & there are hacks to make the Festool ones reusable as well.

If you were going to spend the $ on a Felder (@Aiph5u’s recommendation), the bigger Festool dust collectors have bigger capacities - the Midi is 15L. The 25, 36 and 48 are all under $1000 (so we’ll under the Felder’s $1400 price) and have capacities equivalent to their model #s. I think the 36 & 48 also get a bit of a boost in CFMs.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

@_dan, did you make a decision on which dust solution to go with? I myself have been considering moving my dust equipment to a completely sheltered area outside but have also considered just venting the exhaust somehow. My concern is not only with dust, but also with formaldehyde gas from composite wood products, which is not captured by Hepa filters. I’ve searched online for data on the health risks of exposure to formaldehyde gas released specifically from wood products, but haven’t found a whole lot yet. But much of my work is done with very long 3d carvings of plywood, so I imagine that if there is real long term health risk with it, I’m a prime candidate.

It seems like there’s a decent amount of dust extractors or shop vacs that have exhaust ports that can connect to a hose, but I’m curious if there is adequate airflow for both the cnc and the vacuum motor when the vacuum is pulling and pushing through a hose.

I haven’t done anything yet @Captain. I’m probably going to buy a small festool dust extractor for sanding soon and then I’ll see how much suction and noise it has on the cnc compared the the dust collector. If I do I’ll let you know how it goes.

2 Likes