Few pics start to almost finish

Little flow indicator works.

5 Likes

Great idea to have the flow meter right on top of the spindle like that!

all i can say is WOW

That’s finished.

3 Likes

nicely organized and clean installation. You must be happy with the result. Is this panel and its components mainly for the spindle and associated accessories? What function did you assign to your three relays? Also, what is the top left component which gives V/A/W digital readout used for?

1 Like

Power meter like you say displays watts VA or cosine.
All opto couplers are off break out board, and these in turn switch power relays for below;
1 vacuum m8
2 spindle coolant m7
3 off 1F for delay off for the vfd
4 spare
Timer for delay off of vfd
Individual MCB,s for vacuum, coolant pump VFD and 1F
I did not use any relays off the VFD as I keep it all under one controller the 1F
Low voltage power supply for the opto coupler circuits.
Left connector in there for expansion.
Just need an mdf dust cover now although my vacuum gets 99% of it.
I’ve 3D printed all parts on the 1F and just on with the holder at the top to hold 50mm duct straight and over the back of the spindle.
The spindle is almost noiseless best move I made.
There’s an emi filter on the 1F and when other arrives there will be one on the VFD, I put these on as I was getting interference on the monitor when spindle kicked in, also screened cable CY-OZ halped massively.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to describe the build - please keep the updates coming. As someone who is also enjoying the opportunity to build my controller and print accessories, I really enjoy seeing work like yours.

Just starting on the dust extraction assist.

1 Like

It looks interesting, looking forward to the final structure with connected extraction. BTW, do the black and red wires lead to a switch/sensor of some sort? Looks like you have a bolt with a 3D printed cover on the z axis mount attached to those wires.

1 Like

It’s a z axis switch, I don’t relie on homing current I’ve changed to end stop homing switches.
Much more forgiving on the equipment.

With my controller I am using proximity switches for homing - I wondered about the physicality of the 1F homing process. I plan to make my own homing sensors based on hall effect sensors. I found a great post started on CNCZone that I will use for inspiration. Results of those using them show excellent precision and repeatability.

The thing is repeatability isn’t as important end of the day homing switches are just telling Mc max movements.
Work coordinates are the important thing.
I would not waste too much money, simple micro switch will do the same thing, they are held high internally on 1f and breaking them sends them low, use this, as then if any fail it won’t crash into your sides as if it fails it will show estop error.

I agree. I also am using NC but with relatively inexpensive proximity switches - I had originally had it working with microswitches, but opted for these as there is no contact or moving parts. The hall effect switch will be more of a learning opportunity for me, as I want to use the experience to build an automatic tool setter based on the circuit and components. Keep the updates coming!

Looking good. If you want to clean it up even further I would move the VFD down near the relays. The display panel just snaps out and for a few bucks you can buy a ribbon cable and holder for the display to make it remote.

I haven’t got all the parts yet but my plan is to have the monitor and a control panel mounted on a dual monitor display (which will be here next week). The control panel is actually an aluminum project box to hide the wiring. My plan is to mount the VFD display, the digital display for the water flow, and switches for things like the water pump, dust collector, and overhead light into the panel. Most likely I’ll use rail mounted SSR so the switches can be low voltage with smaller gauge wiring.

2 Likes

Now that’s interesting just looking into auto tool reference for z axis tool
Let me know if you find anything of interest.

This is what I plan to build, although the mechanics may be different as I do not have a lathe, or working mill/router - yet! I am interested more in the electronic circuit that was used, and am currently making a part/source list for what is needed.

2 Likes

Brill that.
All comes complete I guess.

Did u get anywhere with it.

Unfortunately it is not my current project. I am replacing my couplers now, and will want to recalibrate and measure accuracy and repeatability of homing, etc. I will slowly source the components, and will definitely share my progress - probably in a new post.

1 Like

It’s Z axis limit switch top.