Firmware Update 1.0.7 (3/17/2021) (Outdated Firmware)

That is dependant on the software and part processor

Sure, that makes sense. I was using Easel’s PP.

Should be simple enough to add the code which triggers that popup to the PP to avoid in the future. Did you get video of the bit breaking? Would make for an good “instructional” segment on “learn from my mistakes”… lol

I need to dig into my Vectric PP to remove the popup which comes up between toolpaths when saving multiple toolpaths in the same file as it is annoying to have to sit there to hit the button mid cycle when doing second ops for larger project runs. As long as I only save toolpaths by bit type and ensure they are ordered correctly, there should be no issues.

1 Like

Yep, i got the footage of it snapping. I’m not sure how to add code like that automatically through Easel though. And I’m too lazty to add gcode manually to every .NC file I generate lol. But it would be a great teaching moment!

I’m not sure about Easel, but there should be a PP file which it looks at each time when generating the .NC file and the script could be edited in notepad to include the G/M code which prompts to check the spindle is running. At least this is true in Vcarve.

May also be able to add it to the pre program gcode string in the Onefinity menu…

If you are not sure what the password is, you can just change it to something you know. From the console, type Control-t control-c to get a terminal window. Then type sudo passwd to change the password. Since you are root (superuser) you are not prompted for the old password. Set the password to onefinity or one of the other passwords that it is supposed to be so you will remember it.

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

So, I went the “flash the SD card” route and all seems good now. While updating the SD card I got some errors so I repartitioned and formatted the card before installing the firmware and when I reinstalled it in the controller, the system came up in 1.07 and all I had to do is configure my wifi connection and all seems right with the world.

My only guess at this point was there was some corruption on the SD card or…some other aspect that I can’t figure out, but not going to worry unless something else pops up. I’ve got some backup 32gig SD cards on order so if the card fails, I can just pop in a new one and keep running.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chef Juke /Patrice

Now THIS is helpful. Saving for future reference.

I, too, thought this would work without fail, but even though passwd says it was successfully changed from the console, the pi user does not recognize the new password. It seems clear that the upgrade is using the pi user account and so I guess I’ll have to do the usb method.

Update: the usb upgrade path also requires a password, which is STILL not recognized. I’ve done nothing to change the password from the default. Looks like I’m stuck like @Chefjuke

The downloaded firmware file from above is only 2.1MB. How did you flash the SD card with this? It’s not a full image for the OS.

Update: I got this from support in case anyone else has this password problem.

Here’s the process to fix it.
We’ll need to recover the sd card image.
This will involve a few steps:

1. opening the controller and removing the micro sd card (we have a video we can share to show you how https://youtu.be/z5UKeeoz5Tk)
  2. downloading the image from here : https://github.com/OneFinityCNC/onefinity-firmware/releases/download/v1.0.7/onefinity-raspi-1.0.7.zip
  3. downloading this program: balenaEtcher - Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drives and this program https://www.7-zip.org/)

It sounds a little daunting, but it’s really not that bad. First, ensure nothing else is plugged into the computer, no other sd cards, usb drives, (and in some cases printers). Install 7zip (here: https://www.7-zip.org/) Once installed, right click the downloaded 1.0.5 file and extract it. You’ll then install the sd burning software ,etcher. Once that is installed, place the sd card in your computer. (remove any other usb or sd cards from the computer). Open Etcher, choose ‘flash from file’, select the 1.0.7 image file (the unzipped file), then select the sd card and choose flash. While it’s working, you’ll get a bunch of pop ups of file folders and format selections. Ignore those. just leave them be until the etcher program says ‘finished’. this process takes about 5-10 minutes. Then eject the sd card, reinsert to the controller. boot it up, home the machine.

2 Likes

Hmm. I didn’t realize the update is using the pi account. I’m away from my machine right now but you should be able to change pi’s password in a similar fashion:
Become root: sudo su -
Change pi’s password: passwd pi

I thought so also and found you mentioned it. However, even though passwd reported the password changed (sudo passwd from the console), it did not get changed. Not sure why. Seems the only way out of this one was the flash route which at least two of us used.

You can tell the upgrade uses the pi account because if you attach a keyboard and CtrlT CtrlC to get to a prompt it shows up as the user pi. Neither buildbotics nor onefinity passwords worked (nor did raspberry).

It is validating the “bbmc” user password, not the “pi” user.

I haven’t done the upgrade to 1.0.7 yet. Decided to let others go first and find whatever new bugs get introduced. So I guess I’ll have to wait and see if I run into any password issues. However, my previous directions are generic. Once you “become” root, you can change any user’s password without knowing the old one:
Become root: sudo su -
Change user xxx’s password: passwd xxx
Eg:
passwd pi will change user pi’s password
passwd bbmc will change user bbmc’s password

Well, I found that it was validating neither password. In fact, attempting to change the pi password failed even though passwd indicated it had succeeded. How do I know? Because I could not log in as pi with the new password. Nor could II specify the bbmc password to enable the upgrade. Something weird in the system.

I ended up reflashing, but with my modified config.txt file to disable the internal wifi and avoid the random wrong connection problem.

That said, lots of improvements on the new release. It’s rapidly closing the gap.

So, I was looking at the key board today and trying to connect a new wifi setup. Unless I am missing something, there is no dash on the keyboard. There are 2 separate underscores though. Has this already been addressed?..

OMG…my eyes are bad or the screen is just that small​:rofl::rofl:. Found the dash, but there are 2 underscores…I believe…lol

1 Like

I have an older machine and my password is buildbotics. So I am thinking depending on when the machine was made will determine the password. Oh and I was able to update the firmware using the IP address and going through my web browser since I have sausages for fingers and that little key board was not playing nicely.

1 Like

Have you tried a mouse with the small screen? It works great for me.

So I have a weird question. I was using 1.06 software and I was using the generic GRBL processor to create code. This work well. Once I heard there was a 1.07 out I stayed with 1.06 for a week or two then I started having issues with my files not working. So I updated to 1.07. Seemed good. started running a code and it got about 6 min in then I heard a hard thud sound. it looked to me like the z axis motor studdered maybe. I also noticed on a different cut before this that it studderd on a different project in the x and y direction while going down on z axis. My thoughts are check the oil in the bearings, wipe everything down relube everything, Also I am going to use the Onefinity Post Processor and see if that makes a difference. I did notice my files got twice as big so hopefully that is a good thing?
If anybody has had this issue let me know. I have seen tons of machines covered in saw dust and no issues so I’m not really leaning to it being dirty from wood and hdpe chips and dust.

You did’nt tell us what software you’re using. I guess it’s fusion 360. To completely resolve your issues, you will need:

1. to install/ajust the post processor ( discussed in this post )
    Edit: use this post processor Fusion 360 - another post-processor update for spindles - #5 by blaghislain
  2. to install a newer version of the firmware ( discussed in this post )
    Note: You will notice that the post talk about 1.0.8 beta 1. The release 1.0.8 should be release soon. So maybe it’s a good thing to wait for the official release.

As a resumé, the fact that the current post processor disable ‘circular interpolation’, this produce gcode that use a lot of linear movement instead of using arc movement.

This produced bigger file and also create a toolpath that push the machine over it’s limit and the gcode created is overloading what the steppers (torque) are capable of.

The new version of the firmware has code to ajust max-deviation to a new value of 0.05 (actual 0.001) and also ajust new settings (max-blend-error, max-merge-error, max-arc-error) that are not used in 1.0.7.