Hitachi VFD Connection

I recently upgraded my spindle to a 2.2kw 80mm spindle and a new VFD. Decided on the Hitachi WJ200-022SF. My main reason for choosing this is to take advantage of Sensorless Vector Control - a means to get greater torque at lower speeds. This isn’t available on the cheaper HY VFDs that are common on eBay and Amazon.

Picked up the VFD here: WJ200-022SF 3HP 2.2kW 230V Single Phase Input VFD - Hitachi

The manual is much better than the HY ones - but there are not as many youtube videos that walk through the setup. Fortunately going through a HY install first made the 2nd one a lot easier.

Here are the main settings I had to adjust for my setup:

1. B031 = 10 (to access all menus)
2. A001 - 03 = ModBus network
3. A002 - 03 = ModBus Network run control 
4. A004 - 400 (max hz)
5. A003 - 400 (base freq)
6. A082 - 220V (motor volts)
7. B012 - Current limit (7.6a for my motor)
8. B083 - 10kz Carrier Freq 
9. B165 - 00 (Trip on control loss)
10. H003 - 2.2 (capacity)
11. H004 - 2 (poles)

To set up the SVC, the VFD will auto-tune itself if you follow these steps:

1. A044 - 3 (SVC) 
2. H001 - enable auto-tuning
3. Hit run, and it will auto-tune, showing "0" when completed
4. H002 - 2 Activate SVC tuning

Setting up RS485 to the OneFinity was fairly easy, used the following:

ModBus Wiring:
RS+ - sp
RS- - SN

C096 - 00 (Modbus-RTU)
C071 - 05 (9600 bps)
C072 - 1 (address)
C074 - parity
C075 - stop bit
C076 - error select (02 disable)
C077 - error time-out (0.00)
C078 Communication wait time (0)

Then, the Onefinity doesn’t list “Hitachi” as a VFD option - but the Omron MX2 is actually a re-badged Hitachi, so it’s setup worked. Here are the 1F settings:

Here are a few pictures of the wiring setup:

8 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to provide this information - it is very helpful and appreciated.

Ditto. This is the VFD I’ve selected and your thoughtful and detailed writeup will save hours of frustration. Thank you for this.

Do you have a ground connected from the power outlet? I see a yellow connector that looks like it’s connected to the ground bar on the VFD but I can’t see/trace the wire and don’t want to assume. I’m guessing that the ground from the outlet is connected to that yellow connector but obscured in the photo?

And what’s the looped wire on the top right? I can’t read the terminal numbers in the pictures. Sorry if it’s obvious but I don’t have much experience with VFD’s.

Yes, ground is connected both from the outlet, and the spindle. Makes it so you can use the probe without the magnet, which I really like.

Here’s a section of the Hitachi manual that describes the pins: image

For the Onefinity these aren’t used - only the “SN” and “SP” are used for the RS435 serial connection.

Remember - this is all specific to the Hitachi controller - the HY ones are different.

Thanks. I was planning on getting the HY inverter but now you’re tempting me.

The Hitachi is more money - about 2x the cost of the HY VFD. In the end, both make the spindle turn. I’m working 100% in wood - not sure the SVC is necessary with the 2.2kw spindle. But figuring out something new was fun, and I like nice things! And it wasn’t that much more when throwing in the 80mm mount, a new VFD anyway for 2.2kw, the x50 rails - not to mention the original purchase.

1 Like

Hi Mike
What Spindle are you using with this VFD?
I was going to go down the Huanyang 2.2kW 80mm route but not sure if it matters or not that the VFD isn’t a HY one.
Thanks
Lee

Any spindle 2.2kw or smaller would work great. I went with an air-cooled model, to keep things simpler - avoiding the plumbing and maintenance of water-cooled. I also decided to go with someone with USA-based inventory and support - but paid a little more for that: High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components.

Hey!

Very new to this spindle stuff and I have some (probably very dumb) questions!

1. Do I need 220 to run this? Or does the VFD turn single phase into 3-phase (I assume the spindle needs 3-phase)?
  2. Will this allow me to run 1/2 shank bits?
  3. What are the main advantages over the makita router? Sound?
  4. Is air cooled as good of an option as water cooled? (I assume longevity and sound is where water cooled shines)

I guess the reason that I assume the upgrade would be beneficial (for me) would be for 1/2 shank bits, and possibly a overall quieter machine.

Thanks for any insight!

Hello!

The VFD will take input voltage - either 110V or 220V - from your wall and transform that to 3-phase voltage that will feed the Spindle. There are 110v and 220v spindles (most common is 220v) - but the input voltage does not have to match the spindle voltage. You can not plug the spindle directly into the wall!

A spindle with an ER20 collet allows for 1/2" bits to be used. You will find this on 2.2kw, 80mm, spindles.

The Makita router works - lots of people are using them daily for a very wide variety of uses. There really isn’t anything that requires a spindle to do. Spindles cost more, and are more complicated to set up - in return they run quieter, are designed for long-running use, and have less run-out.

An air-cooled or water-cooled spindle work “just as well” as the other. A water-cooled can run slower (the fan doesn’t have to blow), is a little quieter, but requires plumbing. I have an air-cooled spindle, that I really like - but water-cooled seems to be more popular.

I run this as a hobby - I installed a spindle mainly for the challenge, and it just seemed to me to be the “right” way to do this. You’ll have to decide if you think it provides enough advantages to take the plunge - but again, it is by no means required.

4 Likes

Huge thanks for the reply! Sorry that I’m just now seeing it!