How can it EVER make sense to turn on the router power when a user taps to home z? (Solved, without a tool setter on an elite machine, you MUST separate different tools into separate files)

This seems just insanely dangerous for no understandable reason, but when I tap to home z during a tool change, the router gets power. Which of course throws the probe magnet thing off, and I have to ninja-like extricate my fingers.

Furthermore, is there any like, guide? For using multiple tools during one job? I feel like I have to press Start 20 or so times, and occasionally it will then start the next tool pass. But only if I havent dared to home z (Which of course seems necessary since I, yknow, changed the bit).

Sorry I’m salty, I’m just really tired of ruining wood and putting myself in danger.

To be clear, I do not have a spindle/vfd. I have a Makiita router, so I assumed the big angry warning at the top of this page doesn’t apply to me. Maybe I was wrong?

Could you give a detailed step by step example of the process you are following, and the results (including the problem issue when it occurs)? For example, maybe a roughing pass followed by a finishing pass with a different end mill, starting at the very beginning with first homing all axes.

Also, what software are you using on the Masso and to create/post the NC files?

How do you have the router connected and what settings are you using? It does not turn on when homing for me however if you choose the wrong settings it will

I’ll record a video of my steps tomorrow. It’s too late now for me to do any loud stuff. Thanks for the feedback.

It be helpful to also state what machine type you have.

Heres a 6 minute long video of me trying to do a multiple tool job, twice. I wish I could make it shorter but I am no video editor. I was unable to recreate the issue of the router turning on during a probe, but there were myriad other things that happened so I’d still appreciate any feedback.

0:00 I start a job to cut some air, but the job has multiple tools. The first cut works as expected

0:59 first cut completes, router turns off
1:04 I press Cycle Start, the device brings up a message to load a new tool
1:09 I jog the rails closer to me to load a new bit
1:16 I pretend to load a new bit
1:20 I jog the z down to get ready for a z probe, and place the probe on my work surface
1:25 I attempt to probe by pressing the z probe button in the middle of the probe screen, nothing happens. I press it many times
1:34 I press other probe buttons to see if I can get any movement, no dice
1:45 flummoxed, I wonder what I am supposed to do next
1:48 I exit probing. The load tool message is no longer red, but now blue for some reason
1:56 I press Cycle Start, hoping for some kind of change. The onefinity begins probing for some reason
2:13 because the bit is about to crash into the spoilboard, I press the e-stop
2:20 I release the e-stop
2:26 I jog the Onefinity to see if it will move, it does
2:38 I am now able to probe, and do so
2:56 I give a thumbs up because it seems like something good just happened
3:05 I attempt to start the next tool path by pressing Cycle Start hundreds of times. No joy
3:11 I give up and press Rewind. Let’s try again!
3:17 I press cycle start to see if anything happens. Z Limit error! (Maybe from the earlier e-stop?)
3:22 I home the Onefinity
3:39 ready to start over, I go to work origin
3:43 I press Cycle Start 20 or 30 times, no joy
3:49 I press rewind. Sometimes this makes the Cycle Start button work
3:50 The Onefinity tells me to load a different tool. I pretend to do so and press Cycle Start.
3:51 We’ve started over! Let’s cut some air
4:47 the first cut is done. Time to load a new bit?
4:55 I jog the Onefinity to get the router to a place I can load a new bit (Note that I did NOT press Cycle Start beforehand this time, as I did last time)
5:01 I pretend to load a new bit
5:07 I prepare to probe for z
5:13 probing for z works this time!
5:27 I press Cycle Start 20 or 30 times, no joy
5:36 I press Go To Work Origin, maybe that will make it be able to start?
5:40 nope. Cycle Start does nothing. I press it many more times to make sure (Sometimes it works I swear!)
5:48 I begin pressing random buttons to see if I can get the Onefinity to do anything
5:52 I press Home, maybe that will allow it to continue the job
6:05 I press Go To Work Origin
6:10 I press Cycle Start quite a few more times. Still nothing.
6:13 I begin manicly pressing random gcodes
6:18 I press anything I can think of to press. No dice
6:20 I give up. This is usually when I would make a new job that is just the next step that was not able to be completed, but that, in addition to all the weird stuff that happens when I try to do a multiple bit job, seems to always mess up the alignment. So there goes some expensive wood into the trash.

To answer other questions, I have a Onefinity Elite Foreman, my software version is 5.03, I make my gcode with Fusion 360, then transfer it to the Masso box by moving the thumb drive to my laptop and copying it (The network transfer functionality stopped working a few days after I got the Onefinity for some reason)

Here is the .NC file:

masso bug test.nc (8.6 KB)

As you can see, I cannot figure out how to do a multiple bit job. Any advice or maybe it’s in a document somewhere?
I would appreciate any help. Thanks again!

do you have a tool setter?

As far as I know, I do not. It is not super clear to me what a tool setter is, but I only have an aluminum probe thing

Hey Joseph,

have you disabled this, as suggested above?

I have not yet, as I still am struggling to recreate the behavior in the first place.

Hey Joe,

your video is not available to the public, it says it is private. Can’t you simply upload it to your webspace? Or to the forum?

It’s public now. Sorry about thett

Hey Joe,

sorry to say that, but what a bad video. It moves all the time and you get seasick. As someone who does not own a Masso, it would be nice to be able to read what is written on the popups and on the buttons you press.

But your description in textual form is nice. As I don’t think I can help, I shut up. Masso users will help you.

I have a Masso G3 set up with a spindle and automatic tool changer, so my situation is different, but here are some thoughts.

It looks to me like you are trying to probe, when Masso is expecting to use a tool setter to touch off from in order to determine the length offset for the next tool your program called for (as @PezWoodworks mentions).

In the F1 screen, do you have an input assigned to a tool setter? The tool setter is set up at a position of your choosing, and not on the workpiece itself, as it is a measure of the relative length compared to the first tool you set up and zeroed using the block as a probing block to set XYZ zero.

There are great videos from both Masso (CNCNuutz) on how to set up probing and tool setters, as well as some from Onefinity on their YouTube channel. I would take a step back and research these, then come back again with questions that still remain unanswered.

It is possible that in the mean time others that have an Elite and router will offer their experienced support, but I strongly encourage you to check out some of the online resources first. The background they provide will better help you in the long term in my opinion.

2 Likes

Joe,
You do not have a toolsetter (you have a touch block) and masso is expecting one. although the probe button can be touched and pop up, it will not allow you to probe.

Until you have a tool setter, you must have each tool as it’s own separate file. It is the only way you will be able to cut. There is no way around this.

1 Like

If you have a Masso control, run programs with multiple tools then you really need a tool setter, they can be bought for about $60.00 or less and not too complicated to set up.
When you have this working you will really like it.
Pat

1 Like

Anyone have a toolsetter they recommend?

We will be coming out with an official one before the end of 2023.

2 Likes

There are many available, and at various price points. A quick search online will show you many options.

Although you are able to wire a touch plate to both the tool setter and probe inputs on Masso, my preference is to have them as separate devices.

When looking at tool setter options, you may want to consider those with additional features such as an over-travel circuit, as well as a built in air knife, both of which can easily be configured to work with the Masso controller.

1 Like

And when and how to add a resistor :+1: