Is there an upgrade or trade in path for current machines to the ELITE Series? (Official Thread/Outdated)

I think a few have but not many. I’m not sure if you’re on the Facebook group but there have been a handful of posts about receiving foreman QCWs.

It has definitely been a slow and gradual release.

@anon93936469 @OnefinityCNC

If that the case, that’s fine; but, I’d like to know what 1F’s plan is so I can manage my expectations.

Onefinity sent an email out today. Starting on Monday you will be able to see shipping times on their website. I’m assuming that means something similar to Order# XXXXX-YYYYY will be shipping out April 17-21.

2 Likes

@Swick In the past, shipping times were generic to product (e.g., 2-4 weeks for journeyman, 4-6 weeks for Woodworker X50, etc…). I would imagine it will continue to be that vs. your specific order number

1 Like

@OnefinityCNC is there any news on the upgrade path ???

1 Like

Man I hate asking about the trade in/upgrade program. So I won’t ask. Just gonna put this out there :chess_pawn:

2 Likes

@bob01dog Yep, it’s hardly worth thinking about at this juncture. The idea of controlling the cutting feed rate on the fly (just this one feature) would make me consider the upgrade. A tool setter would be heaven on earth. So, in the meantime, I’ll just work with what I have and hope the 1.03 firmware (and eventually the v2.0) is stable. Just downloaded it and about to pull the trigger…

2 Likes

I am in desperate need of the Elite and wanting to order but after purchasing my Woodworker 6 weeks before the announcement of the Elite series I am extremely gun shy. I am afraid I am going to order an Elite and then a few weeks later the upgrade program will be announced and my ability to sell my used Woodworker will be greatly diminished. I understand that here may be a prolonged wait for materials to upgrade but with 3 - 4 month lead times currently for the Elite a wait for the upgrade will be understandable. Although, the upgrade kits may be able to ship quicker due to the fact there may not be a need for assembly and testing before shipping. Please make an announcement for this Father’s Day with a “Upgrade DAD with an Elite “Boss” Upgrade for his current Onefinity CNC this Father’s Day!!!” …ASAP…pretty, pretty pretty please with some Jenny bits on top.

I have been thinking about the upgrade program pretty much every day for the last 3 month. So far I have not dared to ask about a date. This makes me check this website every day. Announcement in November was Q3 of 2023 for sure, so I am still hopeful it will happen soon

1 Like

Has anyone considered just buying the components directly from Masso?
https://www.masso.com.au/
It’s not like you need Onefinity to upgrade.

2 Likes

I did the math. I think the upgrade was about $2500, (just Masso components,without the Onefinity z-slider or any rails)
I think it will could be a little less upgrading with Onefnity, they can buy in bulk.

The upgrade will probably include:
Masso 3 controller
4 Masso closed loop stepper motor
4 Homing sensors
power supply
Z-slider (not sure about this)

The main obstacle is the time.
If you upgrade with Masso 3 you are on your own.
You have to design and print the holders for the homing sensors. You have to think through every step by yourself. You have to program the Masso. Installation will be days.

If Onefinity starts their upgrade program there will be detailed instructions and all parts. Installation will be quick, probably a few hours.
The Masso will be preprogrammed to the Onefinity specifications.

I decided to wait.

2 Likes

Any news? Patiently, but eagerly waiting.

I’ve had a Journeyman for one year. It’s my first CNC, and I’m far from done learning.

During that year I watched Onefinity deploy upgrades that required corrections to their corrections. I made mistakes that Onefinity’s Tech Support solved instantly. I made projects that thrilled me and also made some failures. I bought add-ons that didn’t work out and I damaged my spindle with brass dust. My point is that all of us have more to learn. So why am I posting on a thread concerned with the Masso upgrade?

Because it’s reasonable to think that the user’s knowledge or the company’s preparation are not perfect. Being in a hurry to get the most recently developed product makes little sense, especially if (like me) you’re not a CNC veteran. If you are a CNC veteran, why are you buying a machine whose cost/abilities/business model is the “serious home hobbyist”? I’m fine with learning enough about CNC to know whether (and why) the Masso is a “must”, while everybody else finds the kinks that still have to be worked out.

3 Likes

I think I am in the same boat, new journeyman out of the box and just learning. Upgrades are tempting…but why when there is just so much to learn and do with the machine I already have? Shiny and new tech is great and all, however something to be said for proven and no glitches either!

4 Likes

A simple update on timeframe of the upgrade would be nice it’s been a long time. I appreciate everything OF has done with their upgrade program but I am ready to upgrade to the Masso. Please reply and put some of our concerns to rest. Thank you

4 Likes

The original post says

“at the earliest, by the end of 2023.”

Bear in mind it was also said the tool setter would be available before the first machine shipped which was about 4 months ago.

1 Like

An open message to Onefinity:

I really only would need the Masso controller and closed loop stepper motor upgrade, I do not need a heavy duty z-slider or stiffy or whatever comes with the elite.

Why not make a small upgrade available as soon as possible?

3 Likes

I am fully aware of the possibility of self-upgrading and all the expenses and time that it would involve.
I am convinced that an upgrade through 1F would be a little cheaper since the controller, the motors and sensors can be bought in bulk, although the main obstacle is the time it would take to order all those small parts, 3D print the holders for the sensors, order all those screws, program the Masso to the 1F specifications, get a power supply and whatever other steps are involved that I am not currently aware of. I think it is much more time efficient if 1F could do that for all of us.

2 Likes

Hey Tom,

the Masso G3 Touch is a universal stand-alone CNC controller and can work with a lot of different stepper motor types. But you are right. One argument for the Onefinity Elite Upgrade is that it’s ready to use with the Onefinity CNC machine, the other is the excellent price! (I know the price of the upgrade is not yet known, but I at least if you take the price of a Elite machine and compare it with the same model of original Series with no controller.)

1 Like

I guess programming is hard when they give you the Save file but there’s more involved than what you think, but i invite you do it on your own… it’ll probably be faster

I would recommend proximity switches over ir because if you feel the need to trigger them, it’s easier to slap a screw driver

1 Like