Journeyman QCW Frame & Folding Rolling Stand

Has anyone used the Journeyman X-50 with the QCW Frame & Folding Rolling Stand? I want to know if it is worth the investment.
Thanks
Brent

2 Likes

Hi Brent,

I have my Journeyman on the QCW (attach from below) and the folding rolling stand and it is awesome. It is very well built, with excellent materials. If you have limited space in your shop, it is a great addition. I can fold it up by myself and move it anywhere in my garage to store it out of the way. Having said that, I’m in the process of setting my shop up and have not attached the MDF wasteboard or the controller yet. I’m assuming that I can handle the extra weight. Will have it complete by Wednesday. I can post an update then. I would say that it is worth the investment, but that is a personal descision. Could you make a rolling folding stand yourself out of lumber cheaper? Yes! Would it be as nice? Maybe! The time spent making a stand, is time I wanted to use making things on the CNC. If you are in the Edmonton area, I would be happy to show it to you.
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your insightful comments. I also have limited space and felt these additional items would be helpful. I agree the time spent building theses items is time I can spend using my CNC router. Thanks again for your input I appreciate it. I live in The Portland OR Metro area and don’t get that north (Edmonton) very often, thanks for the invite though.
Brent

I originally wanted to get the rolling folding stand with my JM and QCW but 1F told me it wouldn’t work for a JM when I ordered. So I ended up building my own flip/rotating table based on Drew Fisher’s design. I’m pleased with the results but with the price of plywood, lumber, hardware and casters it came out more expensive than the 1F stand. (I stopped tracking it around $400 :slightly_smiling_face: ). Although to be fair a lot of extra stuff went into my table that you wouldn’t/couldn’t have with the rolling folding stand. It’s probably a wash without all the embedded power management & other trick stuff. I haven’t installed my QCW yet. Maybe this weekend.

The 1F stand would be about a foot or so shallower when folded up & tucked away against the wall than my table (it’s 22" deep). On the other hand, I have dedicated storage as part of the table for all the bits & pieces that are required - dust shoe, vac hose, extension cords, bits, tools, clamping & fastening systems, safety glasses & mask, repair parts for the router, spare router, etc etc. as well as a powered system to tilt and open the table so no heavy lifting. Power, wiring and a bunch of ease of use features are also built into the table that I wouldn’t have with the 1F stand. Ditto for the other side of the table where I can rotate the non-JM side up and have a 4x6 work table.

Yeah, it took awhile to build (3 weekends if I recall correctly). In retrospect I have a better solution for me. If I knew when I ordered what I know now, I would not order the 1F rolling folding frame. But not knowing the extra benefits I’ve gotten from the table I built, I would buy the 1F stand if I were a new buyer. So I benefited from 1F’s incorrect information back when I ordered my JM. Had they not told me no, I wouldn’t know what those other benefits were so I would still be happy with the rolling folding stand.

It’s interesting that 1F still says on the website that it’s for the WW only and they don’t have a version for the JM.

Hi Brent,

Not sure how expensive plywood has gotten in Oregon, but up here it’s $100 for a sheet for 3/4". As Jim said, there are nice plans for flip/rotating tables. There would be pros and cons for each choice. If I got a second Onefinity, I would not hesitate to order another QCW and rolling stand.

In CT it’s running about $60-65/sheet. That’s for something like interior B2 poplar and really 23/32" (not real 3/4").

Plywood is around $75 per sheet and probably not a full.750" thick. I contacted support and they are going to put me on the “waiting list” for QCW Frame & Folding Rolling Stand. My Journeyman X-50 is supposed to ship March 27th they say they will try and include QCW Frame & Folding Rolling Stand. We will see.
Thanks
Brent

JimHatch - are you by chance looking to sell the rolling stand?

I don’t have a 1F rolling stand. They wouldn’t sell me it. Told me it wouldn’t work for a JM. But I did get the QCW. I’m finally installing that this weekend.

It was after I ordered sometime that they decided that the rolling folding stand would work for a JM. By that time I had committed to my own rolling tilting table build.

Hi Steve,

I’m waiting on parts so haven’t assembled it yet (Journeyman on QCW and rolling stand). Did the provided wires give you enough room or did you have to buy the wire extensions?

Thanks,
Alex

Im very interested in this also, do you have a few pictures you could share?